Past week, Medieval castle, restoring and exploring...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out a few days ago knowing it was frozen solid but had to try a forest anyway, frozen solid, not even my new digging tool could get through the ice. I was close to a medieval castle and town built around 1107 so I decided to explore a little. It can be exciting walking along 900 year old roads that are still evident today. Here’s the side of an old cart road where I started up the hill.
28Dec07cart1side.jpg

I walked up the middle for a ways, being stone roads they do not have deep ruts however, if you look closely you can see them. This road runs into another road.
28Dec07cart1mid.jpg

This road would have lead directly into the middle of town. The roads were used up until the 1750s and beyond after the town had burned down for the third time. Three wars and three battles with nature fought here, they moved the town down hill after this, took all the building material to include most of the castle and rebuilt 500 meters downhill.
28Dec07cart2mid.jpg

Close to the castle are several stone walls still intact.
28Dec07stonewall.jpg

Another stone wall.
28Dec07stonewallup.jpg

The castle ruins with cellar holes across the hillside where the town was. Must have been about 50 homes here across this side of the castle.
28Dec07castle.jpg

Yesterday I got out with a friend exploring for a few hours. The weather has been a bit warmer, still freezing though. We found this unusual looking area and explored it, we figure it was a rock mine for the neighboring town.
28Dec07cellarhill.jpg

Found this cellar near the bottom of the hill beside a stream, belongs to a farmer friend just across from the cellar. Not very big, empty so we detected it. Only found a few pull tabs and pieces of aluminum foil. My friend found an aluminum religious pendant just a few meters from the opening.
28Dec07cellar.jpg

Found several pieces of crockery in the cellar.
28Dec07crock.jpg

My new digging tool. Detecting friend Bernd who is a good friend with Rayredditch made these for Ray and I, works very well in tough digging areas.
28Dec07XT70.jpg

Some jewelry from the late 1800s or early 1900s, look to be gold plated but no hallmarks, belonged to my wife’s mother’s aunt. Obverse
28Dec07jewelO.jpg

Reverse of the jewelry.
28Dec07jewelR.jpg

A large wooden beer keg quality assurance seal I have been restoring. It was found by my friend Alaskan George who came over for a detecting visit over two years ago. He had found two in one week, I have not found one, LOL, he gave the other nicer seal to a land owner whose land we detected a lot and gave me the other. Obverse of the keg seal before I started and a number that fits into the seal found separately by me.
23Dec07beer1O.jpg

Reverse of the seal before starting.
23Dec07beer1R.jpg

I used electrolysis to get the crud off the seal, here it is after 3 hours.
28Dec07beer2O.jpg

After six hours of electrolysis. You can see the second number was a 0. Obverse
28Dec07beer3O.jpg

After six hours, reverse.
28Dec07beer3R.jpg

After most of the crud and rust was cooked off I used a Dremel and wire brush to clean it up more. The seal is made of brass, the second number “0” was iron/steel and had a nail in it, the third character is an “=” sign made of copper, had a nail under it and was sealed with lead. 4th character is an “L” for liters. The lead square under the “=” was where the quality assurance persons initials were stamped, so I was told but not sure about that.
28Dec07beer4O.jpg

Reverse of the seal, cleaned up nicely I think. Dates from the mid-late 1800s. HH, Mike
28Dec07beer4R.jpg

Upvote 0

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what history! I would never make it to work if I lived in an area like that...Steve

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Great story and photos.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful scenery!

Lonnie

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Glad to see the digging tools working ok Mike. We couldn´t touch the ground, even using those, it was so hard. But it´s milder now, so maybe get out with SKi this week (Bernds on holiday). Got a nice crossing if you´re up this way, let me know, and we´ll go try it, lots of GOOD signals too.

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ....Great History....Great Detector...Great Pics....Thanx!!!!

Who knows what went on around those walls!!!? makes you wonder... ???

kim_in_socal

May 20, 2006
San Diego
Love your pictures Mike! I hope i can one day convince my hubby that we need to move to Germany! We both really love it there! :) I love how much history there is! Everywhere you turn!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be very good place to hunt there Mike I will have to come over and give you a hand :D :D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Mike. I love those pictures of the ruins. To me that's half the fun, exploring the cellarholes and roads. :)

That's a wicked diggin' tool you've got! :o

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
My mate made them for us out of Stainless Steel, they cut through tree roots like a hot knife through butter !

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rayredditch said:
My mate made them for us out of Stainless Steel, they cut through tree roots like a hot knife through butter !

I'd love to see a close up of that tool. I could use something like that. 8)

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Basically a bit of Stainless tubing, then two triangles of thick stainless weld on the end, one lengthway´s (Axe position), the other crossway´s (Digger/Scraper position). The stainless is thick though, and sharpened !!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rayredditch said:
Basically a bit of Stainless tubing, then two triangles of thick stainless weld on the end, one lengthway´s (Axe position), the other crossway´s (Digger/Scraper position). The stainless is thick though, and sharpened !!

Where did you get the rubber handle? I think I know someone who will make me one. :)

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Germany (and all of Europe) is so full of history, it's amazing! Those of you who are over there now (I was once for 4 years), go for it! And keep us posted over here. Europe has been occupied for thousands of years that we know of. There's no telling what's under that playground dirt! -Noodle

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Man I just love your posts Mike!! ;D Great pics, super details...I could go on and on.

Always something to learn when you post...Thanks!! :D

Hope the ground thaws quickly so you can dig up some great stuff near the castle... :)

HH, Hank 8)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous pictures Mike. Loved the old road and cellar. Hope you get a few more gold coins in 08! ;)

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing photos Mike !
Looks like one heck of an ice storm !

All that history of man so far back !

Remember your first detector and the dreams in your head of going out first day and digging nothing but ancient gold coins everywhere !
Thats what I imagine at a medieval castle :o I'd hunt that till my legs fell off !!

Thanks for the cool pictures ! (and braveing the ice and cold ! )

D.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely wonderful Mike! Love the photo's. Makes you want to grab your detector and start swimming!

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! Unfortunately I can't detect the castle, permit has a red X through it, I can get around the area. I detected the castle when I first got my detector in 1989 and dreams of gold coins did dance through my head, never found much at all there but being a newbie detector I thought I some how needed discrimination. Met up with the caretaker of the castle and he explained I needed a permit, I went and got the permit. Two years ago I was able to detect the inner castle as they were renovating, found nothing but square nails and another morale crushing hunt, LOL. Mona, I will try to get you a closeup of the digger. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread