Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Curb Your Enthusiasm, History Detectives...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thoroughly enjoy Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Locked Up Abroad, Ancient Aliens, a new show called Chasing Mummies and several others.

The king of treasure related shows IMHO is History Detectives on PBS. With Pawn Stars or American Pickers, they tend to just give a VERY brief description of the history on an item. On History Detectives, it's MUCH more in-depth. You see the fact seeking, research, explanations by scholars, collectors, pictures, etc. You actually go along for the ride while the host explores all of the many explanations on a piece. Required viewing for ALL treasure hunters :headbang:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Chasing Mummies !

however there is either alot of fake drama (Acting)
going on or something; Because Zahi Hawass
comes off as a Drama Queen.

& his "Call me sir !" bit :tongue3:
That's not what I would have called him ;D

Seariousy, When Zoe Peed her pants
& Hawass told her she will be "Punished"
later, He sounded like he was going to
spank her & send her off to bed without
Dinner. Like nobody including
himself ever releived themselves in the 2500 + Years
of the Pyramids. (I think that's
what he did when he told them to go ahead without him)
at least she tried
to hold it in when he told her she
couldn't go pee. & the fact they actually
made a big deal of it
by Zooming in on the wet spot
on the floor & In her pants tells me
they are Begging for Ratings & Maybe faking it.

We should find out next week.
Hawass told her she's Gone. so if she is still
there he is either not the Drama Queen he acts like
or it was faked for ratings. or both.

The show has me Hooked though.
Awsome Place !

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
I love Chasing Mummies !

He was never like that on the other shows he did for the History Channel. If he were really like that, I think I would just b!tch slap him on the spot. I just find it annoying with his "you'll never work for me", "You'll never work here", etc nonsense

I'm afraid to watch it again because I may just throw my "shoe" at him when he is on. It's not worth replacing a TV for that idiot :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 (MIMITW) said:
jeff of pa said:
I love Chasing Mummies !

He was never like that on the other shows he did for the History Channel. If he were really like that, I think I would just b!tch slap him on the spot. I just find it annoying with his "you'll never work for me", "You'll never work here", etc nonsense

I'm afraid to watch it again because I may just throw my "shoe" at him when he is on. It's not worth replacing a TV for that idiot :laughing7:

Yea Tell me about it :D

I had respect for him before this Show.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zahi Hawdass is officially a sellout. I've lost all respect for the man :(

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, while I do love the show, methinks A LOT of Chasing Mummies is staged. And yes too, that little Egyptian dude is QUITE the prima donna.

Keep this in mind though folks, I actually come from an entertainment background. I would venture to say that AT LEAST 95% of reality shows are staged to some degree.

Watch Pawn Stars real close next time. I'm pretty sure a lot of those dumb one-liners chumlee spouts off were given to him by the director or some production assistant. It just makes for better TV.

In reality TV, it's all about staging or setting-up conflicts for the on-air talent and editing. Combine those two and I can make a hit show about 3 professional knitting grandmothers living in a nursing home :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for those who don't know

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
for those who don't know

Thanks for posting that... now I threw my shoe at the computer :laughing7:

I guess I'll go for a larger monitor now :dontknow:

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the deal with one of the production assistants being locked in the pyramid?

Obviously staged - BIG TIME!!! First, the production crews normally have HEAVY security with them. As well as EMS services, photographers, etc. So, couldn't someone else help her besides little egypt?!?!

Second, when a person has a book signing, they are CONTRACTUALLY REQUIRED to that signing by the publisher. To help sell more books. There is NO WAY little egypt is just going to up and go from a book signing to help some girl trapped in a pyramid :sign13:

Finally, if there indeed WAS a real, true life threatening emergency, out of respect and safety issues, production is normally shut down temporarily. So, my verdict is...

FAKED!!!

But, I still like the show too :laughing7:

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, this topic reminds me...

Another new show is Dual Survival. Very entertaining. Me likes a lot. However, does anyone REALLY think these two bozos are completely stranded in the middle of nowhere?!?! NOT!!!

There was some controversy awhile back about that Bear Grihls guy. Seems he was filming all of this hard core survival stuff about living among the wild in jungles, deserts, etc. Then, after filming he was going back to his suite at a fancy 5 star hotel. Ha!!! Gotta love show business people :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
What was the deal with one of the production assistants being locked in the pyramid?

Obviously staged - BIG TIME!!! First, the production crews normally have HEAVY security with them. As well as EMS services, photographers, etc. So, couldn't someone else help her besides little egypt?!?!

Second, when a person has a book signing, they are CONTRACTUALLY REQUIRED to that signing by the publisher. To help sell more books. There is NO WAY little egypt is just going to up and go from a book signing to help some girl trapped in a pyramid :sign13:

Finally, if there indeed WAS a real, true life threatening emergency, out of respect and safety issues, production is normally shut down temporarily. So, my verdict is...

FAKED!!!

But, I still like the show too :laughing7:

Yea 3 people go in Zoe The guy giving her a Tour &
the Cameraman.

All of a sudden the guy giving the tour is gone.
The lights go off
when the camera man turns his on
Zoe is under a Boulder & the doors are Locked
with only her & The cameraman in.

Obviously Staged :D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Yea 3 people go in Zoe The guy giving her a Tour &
the Cameraman.

All of a sudden the guy giving the tour is gone.
The lights go off
when the camera man turns his on
Zoe is under a Boulder & the doors are Locked
with only her & The cameraman in.

Obviously Staged :D

Well, my take on that is the footage will be sold and used by several programs and networks. TRU-TV bought some of the film for their "World's Dumbest". If I am not mistaken, the executive producer for that segment was Ashton Kutcher for his "Punked", or other series :icon_thumleft:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:

Another new show is Dual Survival. Very entertaining. Me likes a lot. However, does anyone REALLY think these two bozos are completely stranded in the middle of nowhere?!?! NOT!!!

There was some controversy awhile back about that Bear Grihls guy. Seems he was filming all of this hard core survival stuff about living among the wild in jungles, deserts, etc. Then, after filming he was going back to his suite at a fancy 5 star hotel. Ha!!! Gotta love show business people :laughing7:
I'm watching a couple reruns right now. The earlier show had them in Laos where Dave sucked river water through a bamboo straw using cigarette butts as filters. Cody berated him for being so reckless. On the next episode Cody drank dirty Peruvian river water while Dave scolded him! Contradiction anyone?
That little furry thing they smoked out of the lava field in Peru was so fake it was funny. When Cody snatched it up you could plainly see it was a stuffed prop even as Dave whacked it. The thing was stiff as a board as it spun around after the whack.
All in all I'd say the hippie Cody has more knowledge but Dave is smarter in the field.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
but hey, they have to keep the shows alive dont they? If it was all real, you would be asleep before the first comercial. ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GopherDaGold said:
njnydigger said:

I'm watching a couple reruns right now. The earlier show had them in Laos where Dave sucked river water through a bamboo straw using cigarette butts as filters. Cody berated him for being so reckless. On the next episode Cody drank dirty Peruvian river water while Dave scolded him! Contradiction anyone?
That little furry thing they smoked out of the lava field in Peru was so fake it was funny. When Cody snatched it up you could plainly see it was a stuffed prop even as Dave whacked it. The thing was stiff as a board as it spun around after the whack.
All in all I'd say the hippie Cody has more knowledge but Dave is smarter in the field.

my guess these guys are not out of the view
of the crew members except
when they step into a 10,000 dollar
toilet & Bidet on the set.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread