paying for e scrap?

kaiser613

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all, I have a question that I felt was apporiate for this forum, ive been tearing down old computers around my house for a week now and have finally exhausted my supply, while I prepare the chemicals to refine what gold bearing materials ive collected my attention turns to getting more. one of the most available options is to but these lots of e scrap materials off of ebay but ive looked at their prices and either my predicted yield is way off or these guys are some serious con artists, since I have no experience in what my yield should be for various scap sources I would like to ask the community this question.

what would be the expected yield of gold refinable from:
motherboards
ram sticks
logic boards
hard disks
plated fingers
pins
processors ( high, mid, low , mixed grades)

by the pound and;

towers
cell phones
printers ect.

per device

and what would be a fair, yet profitable price at which to buy any of the above items, I know this is a lot to ask but I want to make sure im not going to be screwed out of what little funds I have available and it would also be a great resource for others with little experience if such a list could be compiled.

Nugget Noob

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
I do a little of the same...
My quick back story? I lost a bet to the wife and now need to somehow get her a small gold bar with a loving engraving on it... 1-2 ounces tops.
So I'm only looking for gold. And, this is how I get it!
Look on Craigslist. About once every month or two, someone is trying to get rid of hundreds of pounds of ewaste from their home repair service.
Also, I subscribe to local estate sale businesses. I can find quality stuff at deep discounts, including gold jewelry.
Lastly?
People always overlook cell phones... Pop one one those babies open and you will just smile...
I get old broken phones at garage sales for pennys on the dollar.
Hope I helped a little!

Nugget Noob

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
I'm sorry if if didn't clarify...
On Craigslist? I only look at the free stuff and curb alerts.
At the garage sales?
I explain that I only want the phone to tear apart for e cycling.
People will come down from $20 to 50 cents with a little coaxing...
If they don't budge? I don't buy.... I usually get the goods though...
Good luck!

spankster13

Apr 11, 2007
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DI5900
Try this site for starters: Gold Refining Forum.com ? Index page Lots of good information on possible yields but best of all the best info on refining I have found. Just be careful, those chemicals are danderous and will kill you!! I sell some scrap on ebay and love the prices. Gold is down and so are some prices, mobo's are real low but ram is still there at 15-20 a pound in the last week. Getting ready to list my monthly hoard here shortly. Run adds on craigslist in the computer and wanted section for old or broken computers and laptops and see what happens. I get on average 10 to 20 a week for recycling. Remember some of those parts are worth more resold than just refining.

peterjohnson

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends upon the type of motherboard, HDD, RAM's etc. you just can't be sure how much you can get out of it. eWaste recyclers normally buy broken materials, metals etc on per pound or per kilos rates, no one will offer you these at the price of Gold, as ofcourse they are the one that has been recycling that eWaste and processing it, so they surely want to make more money over all that.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People will come down from $20 to 50 cents with a little coaxing...
If they don't budge? I don't buy.... I usually get the goods though...

50¢ is what I pay no more. Bought almost 500 cells this weekend at 50¢ each. 60 were from yardsales the rest from my normal trashed phone supplier. If people balk at 50¢ I tell them I only get $1.00 each. If they still want more I politely walk (half the time i get called back because they changed their mind)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread