PayPal Charge Back

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has anyone else experienced a charge back from PayPal? I had a repeat customer order from me on July 9th with the package being delivered on the 14th to Long Beach, Ca. Never did feedback, and I have feedback pro. Feedback pro sends him emails asking if he was happy and would he please do feedback. Last night I get $32.00 taken out of my account by PayPal while they investigate. His claim is he never made the charge?? I had to send them tracking number for them to investigate. If they rule in his favor is this is going to be the new scam. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who experienced a charge back and the out come.

Thanks

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
I had this done a couple times after Christmas. Annoying as Hades, but PayPal straightened it out. Didn't take them long - just send them the tracking number ... That they usually have anyway.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IVe always printed my postage out through paypal that way everything is in their system form the get go. ITs the cheapest option as well.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Only had one chargeback. Some new guy was asian and did not speak english. A remote got damaged in delivery and so the first thing he does is a chargeback...... I explained to him that all he needed to do was ship the remote back and I would give him a full refund. I had to call ebay though before I gave the refund. The wording of the refund was weird, almost implied I was going to have to pay his CC fees for a chargeback if I accepted responsibility. Ebay said no and and I just gave the guy a refund.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only sell infrequently on eBay, but from what I've read on the sports card and coin forums I frequent, you are not alone. Buyers realize that eBay has changed over the years such that they almost always take the buyer's side right off the bat when there is a dispute. Then the seller often has to do a lot of work to prove they were in the clear. Since you have a tracking number, it would seem the problem lies with the buyer's local post office. For example, I have read stories of mailmen scanning a package as delivered even though it wasn't yet (some apparently scan the packages ahead of actual delivery, to speed up the process). Also heard about a package getting scanned as delivered except they put it on the wrong doorstep. Of course, all of this assumes the buyer really didn't get the package and isn't trying to scam you.

Best of luck and hope it works out in your favor without a lot of hassles. It might be a bit of overkill but you might even consider blocking this buyer going forward. You never know when someone is just trying to pull a fast one.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I had that happen to me after the holiday season. The woman claimed that she did buy the jewelry; someone stole her card. Well, guess what? I sent it to the registered address, which was HER address. PP immediately put the money back in my account and went off to fight with her credit card. They told me it was seller protection. Always ship to the address given; never ship to a different address no matter what. You won't be protected if you don't.

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
PayPal reversed the chargeback in my favor.

I know it was mentioned about delivering to the verified address. That was not the case this time. Just a straight out scam to try to get their money back. However selling cakes and candies I get numerous gift requests for special occasions. So I have no choice but to ship to a different address. If I get burnt I will have to live with it. But over the years I have sent 100's of gift boxes and had 1 problem. Granny in Ca. refused the shipment because she didn't recognize my address and hadn't ordered anything.

I know it has been discussed here in the past about the Post Office and drop offs. I will never leave anything without getting a receipt. I hold onto them as in this case it showed a FR Priority Box weighing 5 pounds. At least there was something in the box at the PO if you every get the scam the box was empty, or instead of 3 boxes there was only 1.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread