Paypal is raising fees!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really directly eBay related since they split off, but still. It looks like the new percentage is 4.4%...an increase of .5. I just met with a buyer two days ago and he asked what amount it cost me to sell with eBay. I told him between eBay and Paypal, it was about 12-13% and was not too bad since they give you the largest audience for your goods. I'm still trying to find a different avenue to sell my stuff "off grid". My 2016 1099 from Paypal was over $20K. I don't recall seeing that much! LOL

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really directly eBay related since they split off, but still. It looks like the new percentage is 4.4%...an increase of .5. I just met with a buyer two days ago and he asked what amount it cost me to sell with eBay. I told him between eBay and Paypal, it was about 12-13% and was not too bad since they give you the largest audience for your goods. I'm still trying to find a different avenue to sell my stuff "off grid". My 2016 1099 from Paypal was over $20K. I don't recall seeing that much! LOL

I believe that the rate increase is only for international transactions.

PayPal Makes Small-Business Exports More Costly

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Ugh! I didn't even consider that. I sell a decent percentage to overseas customers. They tend to want the vintage jewelry and mid century chairs. But I used the overpriced GSP to protect myself. So I'll have to pay PayPal more and then there is this:

In representations to your customers or in public communications, you agree not to mischaracterize PayPal as a payment method. At all of your points of sale (in whatever form), you agree not to try to dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal; and, if you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal, you agree to treat PayPal’s payment mark at least at par with other payment methods offered.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mischaracterize as a payment method? What is it then?

I think I understand what they meant, although they worded it poorly. I think they mean that you cannot, for example, have a listing and say that if you pay with PayPal, add 3% versus if paying by some other method. And I have seen sellers list it that way when doing off-eBay sales, such as privately through a message board.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I understand what they meant, although they worded it poorly. I think they mean that you cannot, for example, have a listing and say that if you pay with PayPal, add 3% versus if paying by some other method. And I have seen sellers list it that way when doing off-eBay sales, such as privately through a message board.

Their legalese translator was on the fritz.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
And I think it means you will not post anything negatively about Paypal as a payment method. My employer has a statement similar "...will support the mission, in words and deeds...". I think they can use it to fire you and Paypal will probably use it against you also. Their translator was not on the fritz, it's purposely worded to trip you up. I may be violating that rule right now...but I'm okay until it kicks in. Haha!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are over thinking this. It just means you can't bad mouth Paypal if you accept it as payment.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom line is that paypal is heading toward 5%, 5 points right off the top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread