PCGS Certifies not one but two Unique and Almost Impossible Quarter Error Coins!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
"Corrected"

When most thought it could never happen or was literally impossible to happen, it did some time ago! PCGS certifies not one but two Washington Quarter Errors, one with two Tails (Reverses) that was struck in the 1965 to 1967 period based on the Die Characteristics of the Reverse Dies that were used when striking (minting) the coins. The other, a 1968-S Proof Quarter, struck on a 90% silver planchet (Type 2, with upset rims) left over from 1964. Due to Quality Control and Checks, Errors such as these are almost impossible but as we can see, it can happen. While most coins like the first Quarter and especially Kennedy Half Dollars with two Reverses or two Obverses are Magician's Coins or Fakes to make money off of unsuspecting Collectors, if you get a coin similar to these, then double, triple and quadruple check it to see if it might just happen to be a genuine Error Coin. Also, as to how a left-over Silver planchet got into the Striking Chamber in 1968 and at the San Francisco Mint, is about anybody's guess.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-certifies-rare-quarter-errors

Frank

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i need to find one

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still trying to figure this out. The only way it's genuine is because a mint worker intentionally.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Still trying to figure this out. The only way it's genuine is because a mint worker intentionally.

Either that which is a very high probability or the Mint Worker was changing out Obverse Dies and accidentally got and installed a Reverse Die instead where the replacement Obverse Die was supposed to be installed.

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that each die locks in differently, thus making it impossible to put a reverse die where the obverse goes.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
My understanding is that each die locks in differently, thus making it impossible to put a reverse die where the obverse goes.

That may have not been the case back in the 1965 to 1967 period years! Besides, if the Obverse and Reverse Dies locked in differently back then, then a Mint Worker could not have mounted/installed two Reverse Dies accidentally or intentionally. I have viewed quite a few photos and even videos showing the making of the Dies as well as the Dies themselves and I can see no real difference in sides or bases (bottoms) that would show that they are mounted differently but I may have missed something and they really don't show a lot. This would be a good question to ask Mike Diamond!!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread