PCGS - "Genuine Not Gradable"

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at a coin that was slabbed by PCGCS, and on the front label, it reads: "PCGS Genuine Quest. Color AU - Details" On the back label, it says "Genuine Not Gradable"

I'd prefer not to post what coin it is, but it's a highly sought after coin, and a bucket lister for many. That's the only reason I'm considering it.

How far of a hit would you give it? PCGS tends to be liberal with their grading, so I usually look one grade down, but with these labels, and no number grading, I haven't a clue where to put this as far as value goes. Any help would be appreciated.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You want folks to give a value on a coin you won't name and without any pictures.. Awesome... :thumbsup: Surely you understand that rarity is going to play a huge part in how much value such a coin is going to lose due to that classification ? If there are only 5 known it's not going to hurt as bad as if there are tens of thousands of correctly graded examples. Please take no offense but this is a completely useless post. Why the big secret ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I worded that wrong. Not looking for a dollar amount, but where you put it on the scale of grading, ie, how much of a hit do the detrimental labels cause?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Again it depends on how rare the coin is. If you're looking for someone to post a certain percentage of value you might lose good luck. It ain't going to be me..

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and if anyone wants to know what coin, PM me. I don't mind telling what it is, just don't want this to come up in a search years from now on the coin.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I answered your PM. Just my opinion but I am a long time collector (40+ years) and there are situations where I feel that busting a coin like that out of the holder and selling it raw will bring more value. It seems the certification folks are getting more and more fussy about less than perfect coins. Just my 2 cent piece worth.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from the website... " Occasionally, the experts at PCGS encounter coins which, for one reason or another, cannot be authenticated or graded. These "No Grade" coins fall into three categories: problem coins, inconclusive, or ineligible. "No Grades" in the first category will be placed in a PCGS Genuine capsule (except where noted). Those in the final two categories will be returned to the submitter un-encapsulated. All coins, encapsulated or not, will receive one of the "No Grade" codes listed in the tables online"

So the fact it's in a genuine capsule eliminates the biggest problem -- not genuine or being able to confirm as genuine. I'd guess the issue is possible artificial toning, and in that case it probably comes down to personal taste. I'm sure some love the look, and others stay clear. But like I said at least you know it's a genuine, high grade coin.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO
"Genuine" is the most important word on the slab.

I personally don't like "Details" Labels.

Like IP said 'It's a matter of taste or opinion'.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed "genuine" is the key. You could always try another grading service. I did that once. Does get expensive.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is marked "AU Details" I would say a lot will depend on the eye of the piece. If it is good looking, they you are looking at fine to very fine money. If you are looking at an Ugly coin, it could go down significantly from there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just curious on reason ?

82 – Filed Rims​
83 – Peeling Lamination​
84 – Holed & Plugged​
86 – No Decision​
90 – Not Genuine​
91 – Questionable Toning​
92 – Cleaning​
93 – Planchet Flaw​
94 – Altered Surfaces​
95 – Scratch​
96 – Refund, No Service​
97 – Environmental Damage​
98 – Damage​
99 – PVC Residue

Genuine1.jpg

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't care for genuine coins, and I avoid them like the plague. If it doesn't have any obvious flaws & you think you could crack it out of the slab and sell it raw for a decent profit, it might be worth it. I personally wouldn't do that myself cuz I would hate to buy a "bucket list" coin from someone thinking it's a problem-free coin and then find out otherwise. If you can find a pawn shop owner that you can trick into buying it, by all means do it!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
98 means its damaged -- likely badly damaged -- its value would depend upon exactly how rare it is -- say a damaged 1916 D dime --so long as they --yep its a "real" coin --damaged but real --it would have some value still --damaged coins sadly are seldom bought by collectors --collectors tend to want the very best coins they can find

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the code on it was 91, 'Questionable Toning', which is what it says it is on the PCGS card. It was a 1955 DDO Lincoln cent, and it sold for $1,100. I probably should have grabbed it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the code on it was 91, 'Questionable Toning', which is what it says it is on the PCGS card. It was a 1955 DDO Lincoln cent, and it sold for $1,100. I probably should have grabbed it.

I'm sure coins dug out the ground all have 'Questionable Toning' to those who don't detect :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions