PCGS Paris Office Certifies 1776 Continental Dollar Found in Junk Box for 50 Cents

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
continentalcurrencypcgs.jpg

Grading in the Paris office for PCGS is always a thrill. The submissions in Europe always trend to yielding treasures not often seen. The last grading event in Paris left seasoned graders blown away with one of these discoveries. In a single coin submission sat a 1776 Continental Currency Dollar, a coin that is highly treasured and not often seen. What made this coin special was it was found in a junk box for 50 cents euro.

Searching the internet for genuine Continental Dollars, the owner noticed genuine examples were mostly in PCGS holders and that those sold for the most money. He also discovered that he did not have to export his coin to the United States but could easily get his coin authenticated at the convenient European PCGS office located in Paris. He sent the coin there for authentication and grading. The authenticity of the coin was confirmed, and the piece was graded. PCGS Coin Facts gives this coin a value of $97,500 in MS-62 representing a true treasure considering the coin cost the owner the equivalent of 56 cents plus grading fees.

More at the link ~ https://coinweek.com/dealers-compan...W6trpGiayMZD_2y1SLn52XRDbRA37aULn66DvGkv0mhtg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy moly why cant that be me lol

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to know where it was and how it traveled all these years. I've seen metal detectors find these coins before but the shape/condition isn't that great, but still up there in price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread