djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty high. I just sold an 1878 Morgan in an OGH holder that will probably grade a number higher. They were a lot more strict back then than they are now.

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1957 (D?...I'll have to check) Franklin half. There is only one scratch on it, so I'm pretty confident.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's the grade on it now? Got any pics? :)

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djui5 said:
What's the grade on it now? Got any pics? :)
It's a MS-66. The bell lines are quite good. As for pics, I have a hard time getting it in just the right light so they may be forthcoming.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well D or not, if you do get it regraded as a 67 or higher, the jump in value is insane. I'd say it's worth a shot to take it out of the protector and have it graded again. That scratch might do you in though, depends on who grades it:

MS/PR-66 Few minor marks/hairlines not in focal areas, good strike

MS/PR-67 Virtually as struck with minor imperfections, very well struck

MS/PR-68 Virtually as struck with slight imperfections, slightest weakness of strike allowed

MS/PR-69 Virtually as struck with minuscule imperfections, near full strike necessary

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid over market value for it...I told my mom that I was going to make my maximum bid on it above $100. She didn't care. When I won the auction and had to send out an MO for it, she flipped. My dad didn't mind, because I knew what I was doing and could make substantial money from it. BTW, do I have to take it out ofb the holder or can I just send it the way it is, for regrade?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have to take it out of the holder. White gloves! Don't mess up the coin :o :o

They have a seam that runs around the middle of the edge you can hopefully pry apart with a small knife or something.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same as regular. They won't know if it's been graded before because you have to take it out of the holder and mail it like that. Maybe you can get a discount if you tell them, not sure, never tried that.

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djui5 said:
Same as regular. They won't know if it's been graded before because you have to take it out of the holder and mail it like that. Maybe you can get a discount if you tell them, not sure, never tried that.
Won't that screw up the population?

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick in NEPA said:
djui5 said:
Won't that screw up the population?
thats a good question

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely would screw up the population, that is why they should always be taken with a grain of salt.

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
If you play the crack out game it is very risky, you have to remember it could also come back as a MS-65. I dont know where your scratch is located but if enough metal is displaced that it stands out I would leave it alone. It is up to you but basically if it does not look absolutely mark free except under magnification chances of a 66 again are slim. You could also send it in in the holder it is in now and check the regrade box, they guarantee not to lower the grade. Also, you can add a slight premium just for it being in the old holder as many playing the game are doing the same thing you are considering right now. I hope this helps some. Good Luck!!! Rich

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
richg said:
You could also send it in in the holder it is in now and check the regrade box, they guarantee not to lower the grade.

That's cool! I didn't know they did that. Nice bit of info ;D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
People have done this for years, and yes, the populations are not accurate because of it.

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
You are correct about the population numbers, however the way it is supposed to be done is the tag that is in with coin you "cracked out" is supposed to be sent back in to PCGS and they will adjust the population report accordingly, not everyone does this and quite frankly I have not either. I have a few I should send them. Hope this helps!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread