Peace and Morgan Silver Dollars at Face Value

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stopped at the convenience store to get a coffee on my way to work this morning... The cashier was arguing with some kid, when I got to the counter and realized what it was about I almost dropped my coffee as my heart skipped a beat... I am a regular and familiar with the cashier so I asked what's up... The cashier said the kid was trying to pass counterfeit money, the kid turned around and showed me what he had in his hand... It was actually 2 Morgan's and 5 peace dollars... I asked him if it would help if I gave him the seven dollars for them and he agreed... He bought his cigarettes and went on his way...

I just got home from work and got my first real look at them... Couldn't be happier...

Now all I need is the snow to go away and the ground to thaw so I can get out and detect...

image.jpeg

Upvote 19
S

stefen

unfortunately you made a major mistake...

You didn't get the kids name, address and cell...just in case he pinched more of grannies stash...

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt he would give up that information unless he was a total moron.

OP
OP
PGHDigger

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
unfortunately you made a major mistake...

You didn't get the kids name, address and cell...just in case he pinched more of grannies stash...

I thought about that after the fact... I also realize they could very well be stolen... Especially given the area I'm in...

I'm still taking this as a win...

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait until the kids parents find out. He's gonna be in deep trouble.

8Reales

Bronze Member
Dec 16, 2015
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be an ass, but shoudent you
Have offered the kid a more fair amount, $10 at least? Or guided him as to what he had. Again it might just be me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, Congratulations PGHDigger
!!
:occasion14:

Second, which one of you in exactly the same situation would not have done the same thing? Stop being jealous and envious, and Growl like a Pirate! :skullflag:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait until the kids parents find out. He's gonna be in deep trouble.
I don't think you can call him a "kid". You have to be 18 to buy cigarettes in Pennsyvania and they card. You might call him a punk though.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's look at this a different way. What if this kid stole from you or your family and then sold it for nothing to someone like you.
Karma is a ..... ya know

OP
OP
PGHDigger

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not going to defend my decision to do this as it was definitely questionable... The kid I'm referring to was easily in his mid twenties, and definitely was not on the up and up...

Should I have offered him more? I could argue that all night long... But I'm not going to do that... I did what I did...

In the future I think this would go down differently... I would definitely offer the individual more money and ask more questions...

This is the first time something like this has happened to me, hopefully not the last though...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, Congratulations PGHDigger
!!
:occasion14:

Second, which one of you in exactly the same situation would not have done the same thing? Stop being jealous and envious, and Growl like a Pirate! :skullflag:

As your asking, I will answer - 'me'

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang I wonder if his weed dealer got the Gold ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread