Peace dollar with die cracks

Z

ZumbroKid

I was looking thru some of my stuff and noticed this peace dollar. I always thought it was stratched. I beieve it has die cracks. There are two cracks on it One runs under the IN GOD and across the neck. The other is thru the Y in liberty and is not on the letter Y. These are really long die cracks. Is this worth anything extra cause they are so noticible? What do you think?

Attachments

• Peace dollar die cracks.jpg
    Peace dollar die cracks.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 736

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
If those are die cracks it could be worth ALOT, but you would have to take it to a coin store to find out prolly.

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If it is a die crack the crack will be raised above the surface of the coin. A scratch will be below the surface of the coin. If it is a die crack it would probably be worth a premium above its normal value. Ask a coin dealer to give you an idea of its value.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Definitely looks like something besides scratches. I don't know didly about values of coins, but I do remember reading somewhere, that die cracks will raise the value. I couldn't find any info regarding Die-cracks on this error page,,,
http://www.coinfacts.com/error_coins/error_coins.htm
Great looking coin, though...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Take it to a coin store? I bought it there cheap. Owner is old must be our eyes, i'm not quite as old.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hopefully you wont have as much trouble with those butt clown coin guys as i am having. i still cant find a coin store that knows squat about old coins, :'(

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I noticed alot of coin dealers are getting out of older coins and into newer proof coins and other new mint products. I have been gettin rid of my 1900's coins, I like the older cions best :)

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Axgar said:
i am new to all the coin collecting ...? but why does the U on the Trust look like or is a V ????

In centuries past, it was common to use 'V' and 'U' interchangeably in Latin. The designer of the Peace Dollar used artistic license in using 'TRVST' on his coin. The 'V' also alludes to "V for Victory", the Allies victory in The Great War (WWI).

Check out the front of some older government buildings where the name of the building is "carved" into the stone. You likely will see something like "COVRTHOUSE".

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a genuine die crack to me.
I have one an a Standing Lib. quarter that goes across the date.

Sub2001zero

Sep 28, 2005
I think is listed in the vam book but not sure, because i don't have a book, but i need one. I mostly collect double dies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread