Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My SIMICHROME arrived today so I decided to test it on a Peace Dollar.

As soon as I finished the polishing I laughed. I like it, it looks 10 times better to the eye than the photo posted here...but, man, you have to like wear sun glasses to look at it it's so bright!

I'll have a hard time convincing folks I didn't chrome plait this bugger ;D I guess that's why they call it SIMICHROME ?

Actually, NEVR-DULL gives a silver coin a more natural shine that almost mocks original lustre. But, this stuff is really fun and I plan to use it on silverwear and coins I want to use for jewelry applications.

Never use any polish on valuable coins!

But, for fun and display purposes...this stuff is a blast!

M. Badger

NOTE: The bottom picture of the silver dollar is the same coin as in the picture above it. I just took a picture with less light so there wouldn't be so much reflection. Notice how much more detail can be seen on the polished coin (see hair).

MAN! THATS A HUGE DIFFERANCE!! i can see what you mean about the chrome plated thing, but ill tell ya what, that stuff did what they said it would...........nice dollar by the way.

Here's the back side of what was a totally corroded JUNK Indian cent. I used electrolysis and SIMICHROME.

The coin is actually a much better red color than the picture shows.

I use it on all our jewelry, and used to use it on motorcycle parts, great stuff ;)
Bugar in Indiana

Bugar said:
I use it on all our jewelry, and used to use it on motorcycle parts, great stuff ;)
Bugar in Indiana

I also plan to try it on Wholly Mammoth ivory and Bakelite plastic.

I think I've seen your posts on other sites before. Are you the one who uses Nautilus detectors?

If so, do you still like them?

Best,

Badger

this stuff works great,your coin looks fresh out of the mint!

bomber said:
this stuff works great,your coin looks fresh out of the mint!

Yes, I've noticed that after a silver coin is polished with SIMICHROME and allowed to set for a week or so exposed to the air it takes on a lustre very close to mint lustre.

When you first polish it it has an almost artificial shine that's too bright. After the air gets at it for a while it mellows out and looks great.

I'm guessing that this MAY be how some unscrupulous coin dealers get some of those original "mint lustre" coins they sell on ebay. If one were to locate an almost perfect silver dollar that was dirty and polish it with SIMICHROME (allow to cure in the air for a month or so), one could easily pass it off to beginners as a mint lustre coin.

This is significant because a common date silver dollar in flawless condition but that has lost it's lustre may be worth $30. The same silver dollar with original mint lustre may be worth $150 or more. That lustre is VERY important.

So once again one is reminded of the importance to know what one is doing before one invests in coins. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back