Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
In 1948 several of the old " desert rats " got together and decided to celebrate the most prolific prevaricator in western history... Basically they wanted to celebrate the BIGGEST LIAR EVER !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D So every year, they would have a contest to see who could tell the most outrageous story. In the early years, after a night of GREAT storytelling they would actually hit the desert to " look " for peglegs lost gold. Last Saturday ( I had to work ), I left work early and drove 2 1/2 hours to the desert to make sure I get to witness this.. Stayed awhile and enjoyed some of the most elaborate and CRAZY stories I have EVER heard. It was too bad that I had to work the next day otherwise i would have stayed till the end. But I drove back home ( got back around midnight ) and here are some pictures from the event....

Here is Historian and Head archivist for Orange County Phil Brigandi, the MC for the night starting us off...
pegleg brigandi.JPG

The Crowd....
pegleg liar 4.JPG

More Crowd....
pegleg liar 3.JPG
Some of the ladies were VERY accomplished in their " skill "
pegleg liar 2.JPG

A veteran storyteller plying his wares...
pegleg liar 1.JPG
A beautiful desert sunset
pegleg liar 5.JPG

I had a absolute wonderful time and will be back again ( I'll day the day off next time ). If you're interested in going it is the fist Saturday of April. Here is a link for the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce:

http://www.borregospringschamber.com/pegleg_liars-contest.html

Enjoy
PLL

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
PLL,

That sounds like a hoot. What a way to meet a bunch of.. well colorful people.

Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread