Peltron wheel designs

Do you mean Pelton wheel designs? Lots of water where I am, but it's all frozen at the moment. Even when thawed it doesn't ever go anywhere! :BangHead:

Can you elaborate a bit more? Is the trommel to be in the water, or is the power to be transmitted onto a land unit? What size do you have in mind? How portable are you looking for? What's the water flow and other characteristics where you wish to use this?

I had an idea years ago about using water flow to power a small charger that would keep a 12v water pump going all day. Didn't need a lot of water flow for what I had in mind, but also the water flow was very minimal. My final idea was to make a floating dam that could be extended and would harness the top 12" of flow across the stream. If you have ample water flow, this will not be an issue.

No plan in mind. Trommel barrel is about 8" round. Peltron wheel I meant to spin the drum on my highbanker.

You need high pressure to run a pelton wheel. I have one on a rock crusher that runs off of the side port of a standard dredge motor. Originally it was built for running sewing machines. Still, they all need pressure to run...

Yeah something like that. You say high pressure reed Lukens. I plan on using a 2" gas Honda water pump. Can I just reduce down the output to make it high pressure or will that burn the pump out.

Yeah something like that. You say high pressure reed Lukens. I plan on using a 2" gas Honda water pump. Can I just reduce down the output to make it high pressure or will that burn the pump out.

Use a wye connector.
Run one hose to the spray bar.
Run a separate hose with a high pressure nozzle to the pelton wheel.

brass_nozzle2.jpg small nozzle.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
I saw where someone brazed spoons onto an old circular saw blade to make a wheel, it isnt a true Pelton wheel though without the split in the cups. There are a lot of small pelton wheels for sale on ebay. I have been thinking about doing the same for my trommel build.

I saw where someone brazed spoons onto an old circular saw blade to make a wheel, it isnt a true Pelton wheel though without the split in the cups. There are a lot of small pelton wheels for sale on ebay. I have been thinking about doing the same for my trommel build.

I'm not buying any pre made stuff. I like fabricating all my own equipment. Just wondering if anyone has done this too because I can't find too much on YouTube to copy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back