"pen-pals" from around the world...?

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
"pen-pals" from around the world...?

I would like to know more about the world, and will probably not be a world traveler, in this life, so I've wanted to find someone to correspond with in somewhere really different, or somewhere that our governments don't like each other. Most of the easily googled penpal place attract scammers, predators ect... so I've don't even try to find a 'pen-pal' place. I'm relying on tnetters,for advice here....Has anyone found anything SAFE on this subject?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "pen-pals" from around the world...?

It's easier than you think.. The only thing is I don't seek to have conversations with countries that might hate us.. That makes for difficult conversation.

I do write to people in the following countries: UK, Germany, France, Spain, Brazil, Greece and China, and Taiwan.

I just hope they don't think all Americans are like me, even though I do consider myself a great ambassador :tongue3: :laughing7:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would think that a person from a country that really hates us would not be allowed to converse on the net or, if they could, would be monitored. If you want to admit to being a facist pig, baby killer, war monger, Muslim hating American, and you're wanting to apologize for your government's actions, they might listen to you. I think you really need to actually go to these places to get a true picture of how these people have to live. People on the net can pretend to be anyone; any race, any citizen, any profession etc., etc. No different than T-Net ;D

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Go to the Texas Board, ya know what they say :laughing7:

texas-its-like-a-whole-other-country-73778557.jpg

5223_tn.jpg

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

I see Packer has already succumbed to the march of progress by assuming you're talking to these people on the net! lol.
A "penpal" is just what it says...you use a pen to gain a pal. That means actually writing (google it) a letter/s back and forth!
It used to be a wonderful pastime. I still have piles of letters from years ago...mostly from girls i met on my carnal travels lol, but they're letters written with pens. :tongue3:

As a woman, if you're not comfortable handing your real home address out to strangers then stick to the net. If you intend to try get a few pals, then maybe rent a PO box or whatever you call them over there, and pick up your mail from the post office.
To me, the net can be a good or bad place for this sort of thing. You pay ya money ya take ya chances etc. The written word signifies a little more ..dedication, effort and a more genuine type of person IMO.
It's all down to chance really. My offline penpals were all people i'd already met in person, so i knew what they were like. Online i've met thousands, many became enemies (due to my antagonistic nature lol) and many became good friends. I even met my girlfriend online and that brought me to a new life in a new country! So it can be a good thing, but to be honest i've seen and experienced a lot more crap than enjoyment online. Came across some terrible stories, people falling in love online and flying from the UK to Australia to meet up, only to find themselves abandoned at the airport or eventually tracking the other party down to find she/ he is married with 4 kids etc...as one example!

It's really down to you how you go about it. It can be great or can be a nightmare, whichever way you choose to get penpals. The actual writing letters side is a dying art nowadays, so you may find a more genuine type that way. (repeating myself i know lol) Either way...just don't give out too much personal information and you should be fine. :wink:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dano, I agree with you to a point :tongue3: Yes, I all my correspondence was handwritten at one time. Now with the internet, it's much easier to type.. I agree that it leaves out the personal touch, and that is why I still make house calls :tongue3:

As far as a handwritten message today, it's not going to happen.. Not that I'm too lazy, it's that they will never be able to decipher my hand writing :laughing7:

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

If you have patients, and can deal with 'stupid kids mentality', and also stay up to the point where other countries are away, you might want to get a web camera and visit chatroulette.com (or some spelling like that). When I was working at home, I would get on there ever other night. I would, on average, find 1 person out of 20 that would want to actually want to chat, and talk about their country. I met a lot if people from all around the world, men and women, that do nothing but have a great conversation. But, again, you have to understand that you'll find 1 out of 20, on average, before you find a 'good' person to talk with.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I admit the old-fashioned writing by hand sounds appealing, and safer, than going thru a bunch of people to find who really just want a great conversation sounds a little daunting. I'm not sure I could make myself take the time to sit down and write and interesting letter, but that just sounds like a fun way to learn more about another place. I think I will pursue it, the old-fashioned way!
thanks for the replys!

iclord

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
V3I Whites and DFX and Garret Pro At
Love to find a treasure buddy :) my friend dead few months ago so am alone now
let me know

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the Ohio sub-forums... lots of great guys up there

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you just want info on the world I can supply that.
I know nearly everything and what I don't know I make up..

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I recommend you talk to Black Street and Teddy--The Original Rump Shakers

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, lets see. The OP was in 1912 and someone got bored and dug it up in 1915. Why didn't they just start a new post?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions