Pendant Found on Jersey Shore

rachelrocks

Sep 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
medallion.jpg Pendant2.jpg Pendant3.jpg

So I found this pendant while sea glass hunting on the Jersey Shore.. Any idea what it might be??

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fishing weight to me

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...So I found this...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard RachelRocks! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part from a wind chime?

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
First off... WELCOME

I think Back-of-the-Boat is on to something...
It looks to be made of ceramic and would make a great wind chime ringer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rachelrocks

Sep 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody! It is very light weight.. some type of clay.. or stone.. I'm from Harrisburg, PA, but found it in Bay Head, NJ.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made of ceramic, probably a piece of lost hand made jewelry. People still make this stuff. It has been around a very long time also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rachelrocks

Sep 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a response from the PA State Museum.. Very cool!!

I am Steven Jasinski, the Acting Curator of Paleontology and Geology at the State Museum of Pennsylvania. You have actual found a fossil vertebra rather than a pendant. It is part of the tail of a cetacean, a small one, and, to be more exact, probably a species of dolphin. The triangular extension on the top is the pointed part of a spine you feel when you rub down someone’s or something’s back. The small opening is where the spinal cord travels through. The larger part is called the centrum and the somewhat sunburst-like pattern is one of the ways I know it is a vertebra from a mammal. It shows that the vertebra would have had a cap on the end, called an epiphysis. When mammals are young and growing, the ends of the bone don’t fuse together with the rest of the bone so that the bone can continue to grow. When the animal is done growing and has become a full adult, the ends of the bone fuse onto the rest of the bone. So mammal vertebrae have two caps (one on either end), and when the animal is done growing those ends fuse to the rest of the bone. The fossil vertebra you have doesn’t have those end caps, so it is not fully grown. The specimen is probably in the range of 10,000-25,000 years old as sometimes fossils of this age are found in the ocean just off the shore of New Jersey. Yours probably eroded out of the sea floor and washed up on the beach for you to find. So you have found a fossil dolphin tail vertebra. Very interesting find as I’m sure many people would just overlook it. If you would like to know anything else feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although he may be correct. Im left dazzled that he would call a Cetacean a dolphin and not a porpoise. Dolphin is a fish.

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thats downright awesome! Talk about old. Well now make it into a pendant? Just don't get on the wrong side of any animal rights activists lol.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although he may be correct. Im left dazzled that he would call a Cetacean a dolphin and not a porpoise. Dolphin is a fish.

From the internets...

The difference between dolphins and porpoises (both sea mammals)

Dolphins tend to have prominent, elongated “beaks” and cone-shaped teeth, while porpoises have smaller mouths and spade-shaped teeth. The dolphin's hooked or curved dorsal fin (the one in the middle of the animal's back) also differs from the porpoise's triangular dorsal fin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions