Pennhurst State School-Hospital

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
It looks to still be state property, are there any posted or no trespassing signs, chain link fencing ? If not then I'd say go for it, the worst that can happen is police are called but they have to tell you to leave. No, No trespassing or posted signs and no fencing then no problem. :wink:

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Again, if there's no signage that says you can't come on the property or fencing or guards to say stay off. Then it is fair game especially if it is state land. But if it is in private hands that rule isn't the same. Private property, because of our code of ethics requires permission. But I see no indication that this property has changed hands. It's no different for allot of MDers this year are going to find their state and county and city parks have been abandoned for lack of funds to operate them and unless someone takes the needed legal steps to protect them, then you are not trespassing until told by person, signage or physical barrier.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 110% sure it's of limits. patroled by Sate police.

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

People worked there. They must of had something.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Wouldn't recommend going there. I lived two blocks away and it is patroled by private security, Spring City police and military police since it is just behind the VA hospital. It is definitely posted and they stopped with the warnings a while ago due to vandalizism. My buddy has a site on Pennhurst and they are trying to get it preserved. http://www.elpeecho.com/pennhurst/pennhurst.htm

Thought about it a few times but the clad wouldn't cover the fine.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
You know I wasn't going to post here again but since there's so many naysayers I would go just to check it out for myself. No one seems to have the same info or jive on what they are saying. I'd go and just See what's what. I've had others try to steer me away from good sites that they thought they'd one day check out but probably never would but I found them perfectly accessible so go for it and follow the rule as long as there's no sign or fence or some other way of saying stay off it is good to go.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naysayers ????? Don't think I have a negative attitude. Been there, seen the signs. Take it for what you want. Personally I do not discourage people from going to good spots. I do discourage people from getting arrested.

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
MD Dog said:
I would go just to check it out for myself. No one seems to have the same info or jive on what they are saying. I'd go and just See what's what. I've had others try to steer me away from good sites that they thought they'd one day check out but probably never would but I found them perfectly accessible so go for it and follow the rule as long as there's no sign or fence or some other way of saying stay off it is good to go.

That's my guiding principle as well MD Dog.

If the structure looks CLEARLY abandoned and it has no neighbors......I'll hit it if it weren't posted. If it has neighbors (and I have a few must hunts in this catagory), I approach the neighbor, introdce myself, ask for abandoned property disposition affirming that I have never seen activity there either. Then close 'em with "Don't mind if I do a quick check of the grounds ther do ya? I won't disturb anything or even touch the house.....just want to read the ground." Even if they reply with "Hey....It's not MY property......I don't have that say, but I don't care." BINGO...I'm in. You just connected with the one person who, if you hand't interacted with, MAY have raised a stink about you being there. And I'd NEVER pass the buck or blame on that neighbor.

-

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
for what its worth as per my meeting with some of the t-net members is if brian aspinall says don"t do it... it is all i will need and if its not for you than dont ask t-net members for a get out of jail call....just my opinion.as good as a place might be one night of jail and most often a huge fine...and loss of your equipment and car .plus your name in the news....hurts us all...just my opinion

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
md, please do not egg him or any other member to go to a place that you are not SURE that there will not be a problem unless you are going with him.. this is why we get such a bad rep..if 2 members say that it is a no... than suffer the same as some on here have and shame us all when you were warned...anyone that has EVER hunted with me has NEVER had to worry about any problems..so why start any???????

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
You guys are crackin me up. :D :D :D Re-read my posts first of all I have never once advocated breaking any laws, so jail time ? Get real, besides that why don't one of you post even one credible report of any MDer going to jail for MDing in a Legal place. I advocate going to the location and seeing if there are any signs or guards or fencing that would indicate that this "State" owned land is off limits to MDing. If not then go for it. If anyone has problems with that advice then KMA you'll never find anything of value.

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
mike in pa said:
md, please do not egg him or any other member to go to a place that you are not SURE that there will not be a problem unless you are going with him..

WHAT?!?!?!

Mike.....you just got a penalty flag!
penalty_flag_3.jpg

Unnecessary Unfairness!
<grin!>

Folks....here is the original post:
robbuckalew said:
Has any body hunted here? Looks promising and off limits

http://www.opacity.us/site30_pennhurst_state_school.htm

Mr. Bucklaw has shared with us a site that he feels is promising but his OWN personal moral/ethical/legal thresholds suggest that this place may be too risky.

But lemme tell ya......it suuuure sounds like Rob posted looking for OUR opinions on this. Many were happy to share their thoughts to include both Mike in PA and MD Dog.

The fact that MD said (paraphrased...) "Hey man! C'mon.....I'd hit it! Sheesh......naysayers have screwed me in the past but not any more, brother!"

Sounds like a 100% gen-yuu-wine opinion to me. He replied to the OP perfectly.

Now Mike.....I sentence you to a half day of pulltabs that sound like silver dollars!
<grin!> :icon_jokercolor: :icon_king: :tongue3:

<no offense intended......I'm juss sayin'>

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's important to read another's post thoroughly before commenting. :thumbsup:

Al

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
OK GUYS, First of all what you SHOULD do is make inquires on the property by asking the police department, checking court tax records that are available to the public, and people who live close to the area. BY LAW, even though the property is NOT posted, the owner and or state can press charges of tresspassing. Going on a property with posted signs, can bring charges of defiant tresspassing. I've have met and been in the company of both Local and State Police and discussed different issues with them of which this topic has been one of them.
My advice is ask questions,do your homework, and KNOW the laws. It's not all that difficult to do. This is just my humble opinion. Enjoy this hobby and Happy Hunting.

Sniper

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
I have personally been warned about not trespassing at Pennhurst to detect by a Spring City Police Officer while detecting a park a few blocks away. You can always call Spring City Borough Police Department at 610-935-2440 first. They would be happy to tell you what the fine runs. I already posted a link to my buddy's site on Pennhurst. Check out the forums for some interesting reading. They are the kids that go to Pennhurst to hang out. Many have pictures of themselves inside the buildings. Just about all of them post their experiences with the police. The history is incredible and there are even Youtubes of the Bill Baldini CBS special report that closed it down. On the site, there is a link to a society trying to preserve the buildings. They had a meeting at East Vincent Fire House and I attended. There were many former worker and patients there to tell their stories. There were also many tables of photos and things "taken as memorabilia" on display. This local paper article article mentions Pennhurst tresspassers and the site's creator:
http://www.phoenixvillenews.com/articles/2008/08/02/today's stories/19884446.txt

The township is applying to the state to aquire it for "open space" but it has not yet been signed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread