Pennies

wiedz

Jun 14, 2008
Iowa
Searched 2 boxes of pennies today and the totals made them the worst boxes I've searched this year.

Box 1

4 Wheats: 1939, 1944, 1946 D, 1957 D

7 Canadian: 1971, 1973, 1978 (2), 1981, 1983, 2001

Other: 1989 10 rappen (swiss)

Box 2
4 Wheats: 1943, 1944, 1952 D, 1955 D

5 Canadian: 1974, 1978 (2), 1983, 1984

I've never gotten more Canadians then wheats in a box before and now I do it twice in one day. Before this my low was 7 in one box. Oh well the steel penny made it all worth it. :)

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'm AVERAGING about 7.1 wheats per box, so feel GOOD about your low being 7 before these two boxes.
:-) I feel GOOD about 10 wheats in a box, and get a few with 3 or 4 in them at times. But most are 6 - 8 per box.

I've been doing 5 boxes at a time and then running them through my Ryedale (LOVE that machine!!!). I get about 35 or 36 wheats pretty consistently lately for the full five boxes.

John

OP
OP
W

wiedz

Jun 14, 2008
Iowa
Do you find that your Ryedale messes up often? I think I'd be very paranoid about missing a IHC or steel penny because it's weight was a little different.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
The way I use my Ryedale is that I stand over it and keep putting pennies in the top. The coppers go to the "keeper" side, and everything else goes to the "reject" side. But, wheaties older than about 1941 and all IHC go to the reject side.

However, I have solved that problem. :-)

There is no reason for me to watch the top where i am putting in the pennies. ALl I do is dump them in the cup up there and it sorts them all by itself. So, as I drop pennies in, I watch the reject box. I look at what comes out. If I see an old looking penny go by (Most older wheats are pretty dark, and definitely not shiny like a 2005 or newer would be.) then I make sure I see the memorial (or wheat) side of it. If it is facing up, then I flip it. I also see any IHC that goes into that box.

So I am scanning the reject box the whole time. And it is pretty easy actually to watch it as pennies are coming out. I have to stop loading once in a while to grab a few that came at one time, but not often.

I have found some older wheats in there, and pulled them out. As for the copper side? That side has a majority of the wheats (since most we get are from the 50s) and I don't worry about that yet. After that box fills up I then sort that box and flip every coin to see the back. But, it is better to be flipping only the coppers and looking for wheats than flipping every single coin in a box by hand and looking for wheats. That's what I did before the Ryedale. And what others must do. If you want to look, you have to ... look. So, I ignore the copper side until I am done, watch the reject side for any older coins, and go through a box of $25 in about 8 minutes. Then a few minutes going through the copper side, and i get about 7 wheats per box. I've gotten 2 IHC so far this year (And 3 in the last quarter of 2007. I started this in September 2007) and about 116,000 copper cents so far.

The Ryedale has found me more keepers and allowed me to search fast enough to get to more coins to the point where I treasure it more than even my White's DFX! It is an awesome machine, and I recommend it for everyone. Well, everyone except people in Phoenix. I don't want those copper pennies to start disappearing in Phoenix TOO fast. LOL I've learned that competition is not good in this hobby.

That's how i use the Ryedale. I hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread