Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUNBURY (aka SHAMOKIN) during F&I WAR.)

The Story : When we Take Into Consideration that BRADDOCK'S DEFEAT had occured but a year before this and their allies, the indians were still elated over this great victory and ready for new conquests ; the movements of the French at the time indicate this plainly, as shown by the tradition of the CANNON HOLE at the RACE GROUND ISLAND, in the WEST BRANCH (Of the Susquehanna) , as told the ENGLISH by the indians after peace, was that a party of French & Indians had left the LAKE COUNTRY in the fall of 1756 to make perminent advance to the forks of the SUSQUEHANNA, bringing along 3 Small BRASS CANNON.
Striking the headwaters of the Susquehanna (WEST BRANCH), they decended by water to about the mouth of the LOYAL SOCK CREEK, where, landing, they sent a reconnoitering party to the top of BLUE HILL over looking the forks and FORT AGUSTA, then partially built. seeing this advancement of the fort and the number of men guarding it, considered it imprudent to attack and so reported to the main body who, after consultation, decided to return ; as the water was falling, finding themselves encumbered with their cannon, they threw them into a deep pot hole, or eddy, at the upper end of the old time race ground island, which has been known as the CANNON HOLE ever Sinse.

This Paragraph Was Taken Word for Word From :

Report of the Commission
to Locate the Site of the
FRONTIER FORTS of PENNSYLVANIA.

VOLUME 1 Published in 1896. page 355.

IF ANYONE WANTS IT they Can Have It. The Odds Of Them Being There YET ?
HARD to SAY.
It's Out of My Area, So It Would Take Me
ALOT of Research, Before Even Traveling up There.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread