penny boxes

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that school is out my 11 year old son has been wanting me to take him to the bank so he could use his allowance money to buy some pennies to look through. Well, friday afternoon we got 2 $25 boxes of pennies and the rolls were all wrapped in clear plastic. He found 15 wheats, 1 Indian head (1896) slight rim damaged, 1 1958 Canadian penny, 1 1960-D small date, and 7 clad roosevelt dimes.

Is that about the average "take" on two boxes of pennies? How do the dimes get into penny rolls?

Upvote 0

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Below average for wheats, but the Indian head is a really nice find.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Any time you get an IH out of a 2 boxes you have outdone yourself. Congratulations.

I must have searched nearly 1k in pennies this year and just scored a trifecta of IH's last week in 1 box so consider your boxes a pretty good success.

I'd also say 15 wheat's is probably pretty good too. Not above avg. but decent. In my opinion.

Mojo

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
That is average if not above for myself, I am still looking for an Injun. Nice Finds :thumbsup: Any good date wheats?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Exceptional box!
IH's are 1 in 125,000.
Great wheat score.
The 1906-D small date is also a tough one to come by.
Very nice and tell him Congrats!

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks guys! The oldest wheatie was 1937-D with rest 40's and 50's. Yeah, he was very excited over that Indian. Now getting more boxes to look through is all he talks about! I've been telling him not to expect one in every box though. :icon_sunny:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the indian cent for your first 2 boxes. The 1960 small date without the mintmark is the one you want to find.MM2

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Well if he is anything like me, he will still get a kick out of finding wheaties :icon_thumleft: It always brings a smile to my face when people get their kids involved in crhing :) what an excellent hobby to pass down. Not only is it ridiculously cheap it, is obviously hours of enjoyment... I feel like a kid sometimes when I'm trying to show my girlfriend what cool stuff I found crhing and after I almost force her to look at them, she gives it back and feigns my excitement :thumbsup: (pretty much anytime I find silver).

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, you guys rock in this forum!

Bye the way, I was just wondering, has anyone ever gotten a skunk penny box?

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
I had a skunk penny box about a year ago that was not only all memorials, but almost all ZINC memorials. There were only SEVEN pre-'82 coppers in the whole box. Not a single wheat.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Thanks, you guys rock in this forum!

Bye the way, I was just wondering, has anyone ever gotten a skunk penny box?

I have never had a skunk box, but I do mainly bags. I have had 1 skunk bag in around 3 million pennies searched over the past 4 years and that was earlier this year when I got a bag in which all but a few coins were 1982. I've had a few other close calls, but only the one skunk.

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Only one skunk this year and it was a new box of 2006 pennies other than that I avg 3 to 4 boxes a week and usually get 8 to 12 wheaties a box. One ih since first of yr though so they are few and far in between lol.

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
quick-silver said:
got my first penny box skunk ever, all new 2008 P >:( just a year short :tongue3 ::) :P

Those will still get you between 50-75 on ebay. I have done that trick several times. Profit is profit sir.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
got my first penny box skunk ever, all new 2008 P just a year short :tongue3

Those will still get you between 50-75 on ebay. I have done that trick several times. Profit is profit sir.
he's right....see that new truck in his avatar? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: penny boxes UPDATE

Well, after 30 days and looking through 28 boxes of pennies we have come up with......... 197 wheats, 52 Canadian cents....... 1 Indian head....... 7 1960-d small dates and a few nice looking RAINBOW TONED 2006-d pennies. And he wants to do more he says until school starts back.

Thanks for looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread