Penny hunting log for Canadian Hunter (I see the trend...good idea!)

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
As I observed many of us have started their personal logs in lieu of daily/weekly finds or occasional finds.
I think it is a good idea, because everything is kept in one place, plus less posts happening.
I see the idea of personal CRH logs as a future of TNet: Coin Roll Hunting

Anyway, here will be my penny hunting log for Canadian penny. As you know guys that RCM had announced 2012 being the last year of Canadian penny. In September, the ordering of penny boxes will become a bit tougher, because at that time the melting machines will start scrapping the pennies from source banks.
Me, That Canadian Guy and CanadaCoinHunting are focused on penny searching. In this b/log I will post results and pics for my penny hunting.
Hope you guys enjoy it. Look forward to answer your questions on Canadian coinage and especially cent coins.

Upvote 0

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
US half dollars and Canadian pennies are two VERY different situations.

US half dollars ARE in circulation, new one are not minted for circulation but the oustanding supply is large relative to demand.

Canadian pennies are going to be actively withdrawn from circulation and melted by the RCM

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
US half dollars and Canadian pennies are two VERY different situations.

US half dollars ARE in circulation, new one are not minted for circulation but the oustanding supply is large relative to demand.

Canadian pennies are going to be actively withdrawn from circulation and melted by the RCM

Exactly, the whole reason behind "pointless" penny hunting is that new 2012 are grabbed like hot potatoes by all kinds of people from dealers to slippery back street collectors. In addition to that, RCM will collect pennies from banks starting this September and will melt them down, regardless of their composition. Thus all 2006 No p non magnetic, KG V and VI and error coins from 60s and 70s will become worthless bricks of metal.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
All right here is the update:

Box 13 (a lucky box for a lucky number :happysmiley:) 40 rolls Garda MWR +10 CWR (with 60 AU copper cents)
Pre 1960: 7
King George VI: 7
2012 CAD: 2
Wheats: 11 (oldest 1918 P)
AU/BU: 64 (from 1966 to 1980)
San Francisco Mint:-
Foreign: 2 euro cents
Other: 1971 impaired proof, but still a proof, 1977 clipped planchet

I decided to take pictures for this box:

Attachments

• Penny-hunt-25-June.jpg
    Penny-hunt-25-June.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Penny-Hunt-June-25-KGVI.jpg
    Penny-Hunt-June-25-KGVI.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Penny-hunt-June-26-Wheats.jpg
    Penny-hunt-June-26-Wheats.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Penny-Hunt-26-June-AU.jpg
    Penny-Hunt-26-June-AU.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Penny-Hunt-June-25-2012-clipped-proof.jpg
    Penny-Hunt-June-25-2012-clipped-proof.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 107

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lucky box 13!!! a mini-clipped penny, but still a clipped penny! also that proof, those are always nice... super rare to find proof pennies, I think in 5-6 years searching pennies, i got 3 proofs... a 1959 proof penny, a 2001 proof penny, and a 2009 proof penny.
...the 2009 proof penny is not zinc like all the other post 1982 proofs either, that year for the 4 designs, they were made of 95% copper.

hmm, more wheats then 2012 pennies, wish I could say that here, ha. the wheat penny is 94 years old too!
keep up the search, looking forward to more results next week, maybe try a box of dimes? :)

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I will try dimes at some point soon, however I'm afraid to get another solid MWR garda box.
Penny box #14 awaits me tomorrow.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Good amount of AUs and BUs, my only AU copper cent from Canada is a 1975 (has some copper toning, but mostly has the luster still) that I found on the floor of a building, a second cent was there too, a zinc one. It is amazing that there were about 40 people waiting for the elevator, and not one picked them up until I came.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are the results for my one before last penny box this month, Box #14
Pre 1960: 10
King George VI: 2
2012 CAD:-
Wheats:-
AU/BU: 39 (most of the box contained 1965-2005 pennies in various grades)
San Francisco Mint:-
Foreign:-
Other: Marked penny (pic is coming)

Overall the box was quite controversial. On one side, there were many AU pennies from 80s. On the other, not so many KGVI and Pre 1960. Also there were only 15 or so US pennies, thus no wheats whatsoever. It is interesting, because on average I tend to get at least 250-300 US pennies per box. This one I guess was just a major dump of change from 80s. I will post the picture of a funny marked penny in a while... and the Box #15 awaits!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions