Penny varieties and errors, please contribute!

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
If any of you have any error coins you would like to talk about, you can say it here. I like to look for everything, since the thought of unknowingly throwing an expensive or rare coin is too much for me! ;D

1998 Wide AM
1999 Wide AM
2000 Wide AM

Theres tons left to name, but I'll leave that to you
by the way, www.lincolncentresource.com has a lot (mostly Double dies, rpms and omms) and www.varietyvista.com has a lot of smaller die varieties.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I have yet to find a wide or a close AM & looks like I will have to buy a small date 1970 to be able to tell if I have any of them as well. In the last box of penny's I did find two 1989 that the date is doubled. I have not heard of any of them being found yet.

OP
OP
T

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
For the 1970s, look at the 7. If it rises above the 0, it is small date. If it is beneath the 0, (which it usually is) it is a large date. Just remember, high 7, small date. Low 7, large date

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
I dug this one and cant figure out if it is a small or large date.
Thanks for any opinion.

~KANSAS~

Attachments

• 1970-S                        - 001.jpg
    1970-S - 001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 3,243

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I would say that it is a large date based on the shape of the 9. I picked up my first 1989 wide am the other day, it only took five boxes.

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
I would say that it is a large date based on the shape of the 9. I picked up my first 1989 wide am the other day, it only took five boxes.

Thanks for the reply and congratulations on wide AM !

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
I love error coins! You probably can tell by my user name = oddcoins

I use to buy and sell error coins pretty heavily "back in the day" on eBay and such.

The coolest and most exotic error coin I handled was a 1964 Kennedy half dollar struck on a CLAD quarter planchet! So, not only was it a wrong planchet error ~ it was a wrong type of metal error for the date (clad, not silver)! I was only the middle guy on the deal ~ but the buyer of the coin gave me a very nice sized "finders fee"!

Anyother good one I handled was a 1890 Seated Dime that was struck about 40% off-center ~ it was slabbed AU-55 ~ it sold on ebay for a little over $3100. They buyer was a huge error coin dealer ~ he had it in his price list for $10,000!

OP
OP
T

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
Kansas said:
I dug this one and cant figure out if it is a small or large date.
Thanks for any opinion.

~KANSAS~
I would also say its a large date, I usually look at the 7, if the top of it lays under the 0, its large date, if the 7 rises on top of the 0, its a small date.

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Not to hijack this post, but I had another question concerning the '70s. I have a couple coins with a very high S. So high that I'd call it inbetween the bottoms of the 9 and 7. Any thoughts? (I'm at 'work' and cannot post a pic at this time)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread