People are diein to find the treasure.... literally

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeh, I believe it.

I know northern Michigan sure ain't the Rockies, but I regularily see city folk tourists up here underestimating a very different world that they dont understand.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Mother Nature is not a stroll n the park !
No, it's not.

It's also not a place for those that aren't comfortable with it, or panic easily.

Just because you watched a few episodes of survivordude on TV, doesn't make you an expert in bushcraft.

I've spent my life playing in the woods, I ain't into the bushcraft stuff, and I ain't a mountainman,......but I'm comfortable in those surroundings, and simple common sense goes a long ways.

Ya know mostly I find lost people. They're lucky and lost on roads, driving miles back down a maze of 2-tracks with no map, one out of gas.

Some think they're mall crawler Jeeps are invincible, but have no knowledge of driving in sand or mud.

Almost always its a case of underestimation or just not knowing any better.....and they panic.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminded me of my first visit to Yellowstone Park in the 70's. When I drove into the park, the park ranger handed me some documents and the one on top was a drawing of a person being attacked by a very massive bison. He stated that to-date there had been twelve people gored by bison and warned me not to attempt to approach them to take pictures.

That same day, as I was driving to my cabin inside the park, I came on what must have been twenty cars parked along the road. I saw two bison resting on the ground that were now completely surrounded by at least forty people and they were slowly walking closer to the bison to get the best possible picture. I said to my friends, "Do you guys want to stay and watch what happens next or should we leave and hope that nobody gets pulverized?" We didn't stop but I wondered what part of the Park Ranger's explanation they didn't understand!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminded me of my first visit to Yellowstone Park in the 70's. When I drove into the park, the park ranger handed me some documents and the one on top was a drawing of a person being attacked by a very massive bison. He stated that to-date there had been twelve people gored by bison and warned me not to attempt to approach them to take pictures.

That same day, as I was driving to my cabin inside the park, I came on what must have been twenty cars parked along the road. I saw two bison resting on the ground that were now completely surrounded by at least forty people and they were slowly walking closer to the bison to get the best possible picture. I said to my friends, "Do you guys want to stay and watch what happens next or should we leave and hope that nobody gets pulverized?" We didn't stop but I wondered what part of the Park Ranger's explanation they didn't understand!

You mean like what I did. Actually, I was by myself, but guilty as charged. Lewis and Clark 2004 079 (2).jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are completely oblivious to the dangers in a wild place. Wild animals, injuring yourself (breaking a leg) and forced to spend a night or more without life saving needs. You should ALWAYS let someone know where you are going to be and when you plan to exit the area. If you go on such an adventure be careful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread