johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time it's just a wave of hello. I want them to stay where they are at...And they probably want the same from me. Usually when I'm done I'll walk close by and exchange an, "any luck".

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people think they should have the place all to themselves and can't think of someone taking "their Money" I always say hello and ask if they had any luck and such. If I see they aren't covering their holes, I suggest they do so or everyone can get the area off limits to detecting. This is the number one reason parks are closed to us I believe.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I generally drift over and ask how they're doing and chat a bit. To date, I've only had one that was unfriendly, a youngster that was swinging his coil well above the ground like a pendulum. I suggested that he'd do better with the coil close and parallel to the ground and he reacted as if he didn't need any advice from an old duffer and didn't slow down so I went on to let him miss the goodies and picked up a few behind him later.
Bill

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I usually strike up the talk and ask how's it going, any luck etc. If they don't seem like they want to chat, I move on and leave them alone. usually I'm surprised to see someone else MDing

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen another MD'er in action while I was. Probably due to the unorthodox search techniques I use and the odd hours I'm able to get out. When I do see one and I'm not detecting, I always visit with them, as I can usually pick up some good tips from them.

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
What you should do at the beach is search directly behind another MDer and keep yelling 'Hey, look what I found!!.'

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I posted earlier on this - I like to chat a bit. Actually, I feel a good part of this hobby is sharing. Okay, maybe not our favorite spots, but I'm always ready to pass on or listen to ideas or techniques that improve our success. That's the main reason I hang around on this and several other forums.
HH
Bill

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll throw a wave or a nod an if we pass or come close I ask how its going ,just be sociable ,normally tho I keep my space an leave them theirs .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I Try to talk to them at some point.

I go to many places where it is Obvious
from the dig Signs,
there are those who can't or won't
dig properly.

my talking to them I Can bring that up
& complain about it without throwing
direct accusations, and maybe educate somone.

plus if they are talkative I Can Maybe
Get a few New Leads on Sites,
by trading a few .

And don't think I Forget about Mentioning TNet
and what a great place it is to meet friends
and learn at the same time ;D

I Will Even stop if I see someone detecting
along the road. if they are at a place I Don't
have Permission,
I Will ask if they do & How they Got it.

I have so many Diggers, I Have even given
Trawels away to Newbies Using Spades
or aluminum Garden trawels and Scratchers

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
When I see someone else huntin I go around when there not lookin and throw pieces of broken magnets, and nails in front of them,,,,,,,,,NOT!!!!!! just kidding,, everyone I see or encounter are friendly,,,, usually we trade spots or have a pretty good bull session,,,happy hunting

arthur

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
He probabaly see's you kneeling down more than him and getting jelous that you are finding more than him. I usually go over there and say hows it going. It's your park too. I see allot of the same guys at parks and schools I go to. They even once in a while ask me to ID something they found with my detector. All depends on the person. Just give each other space uless you or him send an invite.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I'm at a site first then I will let the new detectorist come to me but if they don't and I find myself in ear shot at some point I will say hi. If they approched me when arriving I will walk over if I leave first to see how they made out, show them what I found and tell them where then wish them luck.

If I arrive and they are not extremely far away I will go over and say hi. I will always give the person detecting an area first a large area to cover so I don't bother them even if it is an area I was planning on detecting when I headed out.

If I'm not detecting but see a person swing a coil I always try to walk over and say hi. If they are new to the hobby I will give a few tips and tell them what I've found in the area and where. In the few years I've been detecting I have not come across any other people leaving holes or using bad recovery techniques.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread