Pepper Mill part?

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back through my previous threads and couldn't find whether I had put this on here before so here goes. I found this unique piece in 2013 and now a buddy of mine has found the same piece in another state. Does anyone know what it is. I have studied coffee grinders and pepper mills and can't find it. So I come here to the real pros! What do you think? Mine came from an 1870's site and my buddies from an 1850's site. Not to say they are later.

IM

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much of a grinding surface to speak of... And it's only about 3 inches long? I'm thinking door stop... But the mounting screw is missing from one end and the rubber from the other end. :dontknow:

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What type metal is it? I have several types of grinders, burr mills, and mills. It does appear to be a grinder for something, but I've never seen one that small. It' probably a kitchen grinder for pepper, nutmeg, etc. Tony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ironman!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is made of brass guys and is threaded at both ends. I found this out of an 1870's site. I thought that maybe there may have been another piece this might have connected to? Each little petal has a deep trench on right tapering up to real thin on left. Where maybe another piece fit this pattern to further turn this for it's purpose?

IM

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's brass then it's probably not a grinder. Tony
It is made of brass guys and is threaded at both ends. I found this out of an 1870's site. I thought that maybe there may have been another piece this might have connected to? Each little petal has a deep trench on right tapering up to real thin on left. Where maybe another piece fit this pattern to further turn this for it's purpose?

IM

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not I have actually seen one of these before... just cannot remember what where when...
May be confused with above mentioned earlier post.

Upvote 0

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very similar piece-- mine came from a bunch of England detecting finds I bought on ebay. Difference is, the round part on the end on mine has more fine incused rays-- much like sun rays. And these rays cover pretty much the entire round surface area. I always assumed my piece was a lead seal stamper. But maybe these pieces were actually used as grinders?

Upvote 0

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
There could have been another part that screwed on to there, maybe a cup to hold a candle? Maybe late 1800's candle holder. If that is the case the reason why it's hollow is to save money on brass:laughing7:"

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wild guess...
A tamper / packing rod.... OR gun cleaning rod end.
For blunderbuss.. etc...
the "grip" would aid in twisting "wad" into barrel.
The screw end was attached to wood end.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread