Pepper spray

P

pippinwhitepaws

:sign10:

i wonder how many of the people boasting' about pistols are going to end up shooting themselves by accident?

' oh, rattle snake...pop off the first round and have your friends drive you to the hospitial...yea doc, he shot the snake but the bullet hit him...'

oh...and i have seen this done...drove the person to the hospitial...even told them to leave the piece in the truck....

rick o shay

JHinPA

Jan 25, 2008
SouthEastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DI6000/Pro & Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Pepper Spray for the dogs and a large survival knife for anything larger, although I keep a little dirt on the blade & sheath to prove it is only used for cutting roots :wink:. And once a year, at the beginning of the season, I alwyas test fire the can of spray to make certain it works. HAte to find out the hard way. (Down wind !!! ;D) JHinPA

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pippinwhitepaws said:

i wonder how many of the people boasting' about pistols are going to end up shooting themselves by accident?

' oh, rattle snake...pop off the first round and have your friends drive you to the hospitial...yea doc, he shot the snake but the bullet hit him...'

oh...and i have seen this done...drove the person to the hospitial...even told them to leave the piece in the truck....

rick o shay

I already have the detector in my hand so it would seem faster and easier to just keep the snake at bay with the coil and move on.

The chopped .45 ACP I carry for two legged animals. Some people aren't bothered by pepper spray, and bears may just see it as a condiment, but a 230 gr FMJ or eight will change anyone's mind.

Attachments

• HPIM1315s.jpg
    HPIM1315s.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 862

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
pippinwhitepaws said:

rick o shay

I've carried one for well over 25 years, not just in the woods, but everywhere I go and have yet to shoot myself.

OP
OP
longsocks

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was always mainly concerned with the 2 legged critters and carried pepper spray and was considering a piece but dunno there yet...Thinking very hard on that one tho in the last year and mainly in the last 2 weeks we have had some cougar sightings... dang i would hate to be someones lunch ...
This is South East Wisconsin they normally dont come across the Mississippi river to the east ..last year they shot one right in the heart of Chicago.. making me paranoid..

P

pippinwhitepaws

i grew up with firearms...did the army...carried a bunch of neat weapons in my life...
but push comes to shove, situational awareness, a can of pepper spray, a pocket knife and matches just about covers all survival needs.

let me modify this response...there is a rabies epidemic in northern arizona just now...two people yesterday attacked by a rabid bobcat...second bobcat attack in a week...

normally one almost has to seek out trouble in the wilds...the animals know all about firearms, and avoid humans.

a pump shotgun is a more serviceable piece to carry for all round protection in the woods...and to be truthful, i have doubts many of the posters supporting pistol carry, can hit a moving target with a pistol.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure finder said:
Our most common problem in the southern Calif deserts is rattlesnakes. Pepper spray works just fine on them.

I don't think rattlesnakes are the most common problem in southern California. Try gangs and lunatic liberals?

I lived there for 40 years, never had a problem with a rattlesnake.

RonPaul2012

Greenie
Apr 16, 2009
What would the pepper spray be for? I usually have my Taurus 38 special on me. If not that then my H&K USP 40. If I am out in the woods of WV where my boy owns property, I usually have my AK47 on me (bears :D)

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
GP-100 .357 with 158gr Gold Dots.

I plan to carry concealed when MD'ing cuz the whole point is to relax & warm those from who we want 'Permission to Hunt' their property.

-

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pippinwhitepaws said:
i grew up with firearms...did the army...carried a bunch of neat weapons in my life...
but push comes to shove, situational awareness, a can of pepper spray, a pocket knife and matches just about covers all survival needs.

let me modify this response...there is a rabies epidemic in northern arizona just now...two people yesterday attacked by a rabid bobcat...second bobcat attack in a week...

normally one almost has to seek out trouble in the wilds...the animals know all about firearms, and avoid humans.

a pump shotgun is a more serviceable piece to carry for all round protection in the woods...and to be truthful, i have doubts many of the posters supporting pistol carry, can hit a moving target with a pistol.

You don't have to outrun a bear, only have to be faster than your partner. Where do you aim, when a charging grizzly heads towards you and your partner?? At your partners' knees, then run like hell! TTC

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
arm yourself ; practice, pratice, practice! :icon_study:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and find the green pepper spray,it goes on green and it sticks,sort of like shaving gel and it BURNS!!!,or when I go with a friend of mine he carrys a 22 cal. pistol that fires rat shot,more so for snakes.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pippinwhitepaws said:

If something is running it's a question of timing. If it's running away or to one side there is no need to shoot (in defense, that is). If it's running at me . . . I wait until in range. ;-)

I used to fire Practical Pistol Competition with the local sheriff's and I do all right with either hand. We raise chickens and I have rolled running raccoons (.45 ACP & .22LR) and opossums (.38 Spl & .22LR) . . . sometimes in the dark with a flashlight in my left hand. If I catch one in the Havahart live trap (the neighbor's and our own barn cats don't allow me to use leg-hold traps and I won't use poisons) I open the trap and let them move out of the trap. Generally, they accelerate once clear. With my .22 LR single-action revolver I have not had one "get past me" in 30 years of this. Sometimes I admit I do need multiple shots. Skunks amble away . . . but they get a l-o-n-g count (and yes, skunks kill chicks, bantam chickens and steal eggs if given a chance). Growing up in politically uncorrect times we used to spend hours shooting bottles, cans and blocks of wood tossed into the Susquehanna River at my Grandpa's farm with rifles & pistols of every description.

I also do pretty good shooting instinctive style with a sightless recurve bow. I can hit plastic milk jugs that my wife throws into the air with blunt arrows. The human brain is still the greatest ballistic computer ever produced. Practice, practice, practice.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:

First of all I am only going to shoot at a moving target that is closing in on me. The sound alone of a 357 may be a deterrent to an animal attack, but if not then its going to eat some lead on at least some of the next 5 rounds. :thumbsup:

Don't know if I could strike a match fast enough to do any good or how effective pepper spray would be against a rabid Bobcat either, especially if the wind is blowing toward you. And good luck with that situational awareness and that pocket knife when a pack of wolves attack. Maybe if you set yourself on fire with those matches they will run away, that is unless they like their meat well done. ;D

Seriously though, most will never encounter a life or death situation that would require deadly force, but I would rather have a pistol and not need it than to need it and not have it. So far I have never had to use one for self defense through 45 years of hiking all over the country. (only been carrying for the last few) But that's not going to stop me from being prepared for that time when only a gun could save my life or someone elses especially if the danger is from a two legged varmint.

When push comes to shove, ask yourself this; If I am being attacked by a Grizzly Bear, Mountain Lion or a rabid Bobcat, Wolf, or Man, would I rather have pepper spray, matches, and a pocket knife? Or a pistol? In town while detecting a park, and a mean dog approaches of course use the pepper spray by all means.

GG~

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:

rick o shay

I CARRY MY GUN TO PROTECT MY PERSONAL PROPERTY AND MYSELF. THERE ARE NO FEROCIOUS ANIMALS AROUND MY AREA. MAYBE A COYOTE OR A SNAKE. IF I SEE ONE, I GO THE OTHER DIRECTION. I AM MORE AFRAID OF SOME CRAZY LUNE STALKING ME IN THE WOODS THAN ANY WILDLIFE.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My biggest problems are dog owners who let their "Sweet Lovable" pooches run loose where there are leash laws.
A large dog running at me is a bit unsettling. I sometimes carry concealed my .45 Glock (have permit), but would only use it as a last resort.
Sometimes the dog is just friendly and if I shoot it all kinds of things happen. If I just mace it - no long term effects until the PO'ed owner wants to kill me.
Then the Glock can come out. Sure I could use my MD to keep the dog away from me but will the owner pay for my new coil? I doubt it.
Now when in the woods I always carry .45 as I have doubts about bear spray. Is there a money back guarantee if it doesn't work?

Grey

JimDE

May 12, 2008
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Vision/V3, 1400DD, Super 12, D2, 5.3 Eclipse
.45/.410 Bond Derringer in a shoulder harness loaded with a #9 shot and a 000 buckshot shells. the 9 is in position 2 and the 000 is position 2. If it takes more than 2 shots ..... well I'm in a knife fight with my Letche.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread