Pepper X fruits grown by Currie reach an average of 2.63m SHUs.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Below is a brief snippet of the column . For all the hot pepper lovers, it's a column worth reading.
I had some Carolina Reaper jerky, and it was very hot. I can't imagine how hot this new pepper X must be.
Watch the video of them eating a pepper.

The shocking, stupendous rise of superhot chillies: ā€˜The stomach cramps can last for 14 hoursā€™
Tim Dowling
@IAmTimDowling
Tue 7 Nov 2023 00.00 EST
theguardian.com

The ranking of superhot chillies would not be possible without the work of Wilbur Scoville, a pharmacist in Boston, Massachusetts, in the early 20th century. Scoville was searching for a reliable way to test levels of capsaicin ā€“ the main heat-producing compound in chillies ā€“ so that his liniments and pills could be prepared consistently.

In a 1912 paper, Scoville put forward a method whereby a dried sample was macerated in alcohol, then tasted in successive dilutions of sugar water until its pungency was no longer detectable on the tongue. A sample that could be detected until it reached a dilution of one part in 5,000 would be given a score of 5,000 on the Scoville scale. The scale was subjective ā€“ relying on the highly variable responses of peopleā€™s taste buds ā€“ but it endured. The numbers are known as Scoville heat units (SHUs).

These days, the amount of capsaicin in a chilli is determined using high-performance liquid chromatography and expressed in parts per million of heat (ppmH), but the results are converted into SHUs for comparison purposes. Birdā€™s eye chillies have an SHU rating of between 15,000 and 20,000; the Pepper X fruits grown by Currie reach an average of 2.63m SHUs. But if you have never eaten one, it is difficult to imagine what that tastes like.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shocking, stupendous rise of superhot chillies: ā€˜The stomach cramps can last for 14 hoursā€™
I like a hot pepper now and then, but stomach cramps? No thanks.

I have often wondered how the first human to bite into a jalapeƱo decided it was food.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I like a hot pepper now and then, but stomach cramps? No thanks.

I have often wondered how the first human to bite into a jalapeƱo decided it was food.
No idea.
I have hot peppers almost every day, to some degree of hot. I too could not do the Pepper X. I had enough at the habanero pepper heat. The Carolina reaper was too much. I tried it once.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I have very little doubt that alcohol was involved....
alc.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread