UK
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:spam4:?????? Just joined and posted a link for a survey sight. Ask us this survey yourself. No need for unknown hyperlinks.

OP
OP
A

A_F_Taylor

Apr 27, 2015
UK
Primary Interest:
Other
:spam4:?????? Just joined and posted a link for a survey sight. Ask us this survey yourself. No need for unknown hyperlinks.

I'm not a metal detectorist. Yes, I joined to post this link because a site like this seemed the easiest and quickest way to communicate with people who metal detect. I apologise if posting a link to a survey isn't the done thing and is seen as suspicious but it seemed to easiest way to collate responses from different sources.

It's for some research for uni which uses the Portable Antiquities scheme - a resource a lot of archaeologists still ignore as not being useful. I recently read a paper from 2007 describing some archaeologists as still acting like detecting was a 'borderline criminal activity' and thought it would be helpful to see if this is the way dectorists think they are perceived and whether this has changed since the Staffordshire Hoard was found as it's been considered a hugely important find.

If anyone would be willing to help out and do the survey but is unhappy about clicking the link the questions are:

1. What do you feel is the perception of metal detecting amongst archaeologists?

Extremely detrimental

Somewhat detrimental

Neutral

Somewhat beneficial

Extremely beneficial

2. How do you feel the perception of metal detecting amongst archaeologists has changed since the finding of the Staffordshire Hoard in 2009?

Viewed as more detrimental

No change

Viewed as more important

Comments:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
1.-Extremely detrimental.
2.-No change.

Comments:
Searching on this site will reveal previous discussions.
Some members have been in the field with archaeologists and others like myself have debated the rights of non archaeologists using detectors without supervision at will.
A common perception is that non professionals digging relics is detrimental through loss of context and at times objects themselves.
Detectorist's can be held by some to be at the same level as pothunters,poachers and Indiana Jones's often in one fell swoop.
The Staffordshire Hoard was required by law to be reported. To the historical communities benefit in a parent child type allowance of results.
No law requires a detectorist be summoned to a dig site found by archaeologists, suggesting they don't belong. Arriving to one uninvited might not endear ones self to the operation and would gain one knowledge of the archaeologists perceptions after a few questions. If allowed.
Being multinational on this forum involves many different laws and customs and perceptions.
Contention easy to stir up here, but more so on archaeological forums.
The two might work better together but perception for me is it would remain one sided regarding who runs recoveries, and the fate of objects.
Detectorists are capable of greater range and cover more ground faster so they locate un known former sites of activity often enough to be of benefit.
Archaeologists often require long term investments of time and labor on individual sites.
The clock ticks and while gold remains relatively stable , many relics continue to degrade. While protected sites await the painstaking survey and recoveries where deemed necessary;how long till those sites are attended to by the archaeological community?
Then there is grave digging and human bones and when /if it is acceptable.
All old debates and arguments that evoke bias in current debates,including casual detecting vs historical significance of any site or recovery and who should be allowed to touch or possess anything.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, at best they will tolerate us if we stay within strict guidelines......at worst, they'd like to see metal detecting completely banned....unless they do it of course.

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your statement that the PAS is a resource 'a lot of archaeologists still ignore as not being useful' is interesting.
Have you completed research already ... or is this just hearsay or what you have been told at university by your lecturers?

Have you posted this on any English forums?

Last edited:

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Extremely detrimental
2. No big Change.

Archaeologists in Programs like "Passport In Time" digs are realizing the benefits of using metal detectors. I've volunteered my time on about 6 of these digs mainly because I love metal detecting and the history is interesting to me. We can't keep the finds but for me its about me finding the artifacts that support the history. I've met some very nice people that volunteer for theses digs and not all of them metal detect. It all comes down to a matter of trust and the sad truth is most of the US archeologists think people with metal detector are looters and I'm sure we have our share of bad apples but I'm also willing to bet the majority of us that metal detect are honest . They would rather let artifacts rot away or be covered up by development to never be seen again. Maybe one day the US will come up with a plan like they use in England. Sadly, for me I'll probably be in the ground when it does happen 8-)

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read this: https://www.academia.edu/11961865/T..._Interaction_with_Professional_Archaeologists
Honestly, most of us don't interact directly with archaeologists. I hunt because it is my hobby and I really don't care what archeologists think about metal detectorists. The biggest similarity is that we both do research in order to find places of historical importance. With the aid of metal detectors, we have a clear advantage at a historical site because we can pin point targets in the ground and look at the cumulative big picture of the placement/location of these targets to make a more educated decision if the area has a lot of history to offer. From my experience with archaeologists, they sample dig a potential site and if they happen upon an item of importance, the big excavation begins. Sadly, they do more large scale damage to a site than we ever could by digging multiple plugs. Sometimes this massive archaeological removal of earth only nets a few items but we are never shown that, just the successful digs.
I wonder if the real issue is that because it doesn't require a college degree to find a hoard of Roman coins with a metal detector, archaeologists feel threatened by technology that even a child can master.:laughing7: I am in no way criticizing a college education, in fact I have a college degree but I still put my pants on like everyone else. The best thing that archaeologists can do is come down off their high horses and accept metal detecting as a legitimate, proven, and cost effective method to preserving history.

Last edited:

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not officially an "archaeologist" yet (finals are this week -- only a few to go!), but I've worked with a fair share. I, like those I've worked with, have zero problems with MD'ers. We have problems with looters and vandalizer's, but that's a given. I MD on every site I can and outside of that, any free day I have.

I'm in Southern Utah, surrounded by oodles and blobs of archaeological sites, so you'd think there would be issues arising. Like I said though, I've yet to hear a single friend/colleague say a single bad thing about MDing or MDers.

Just my random 2 pennies. (I refuse to call them cents!) ��

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm not officially an "archaeologist" yet (finals are this week -- only a few to go!), but I've worked with a fair share. I, like those I've worked with, have zero problems with MD'ers. We have problems with looters and vandalizer's, but that's a given. I MD on every site I can and outside of that, any free day I have......

Trout-Burn-Dave, glad you are an md'r! What better hobby could an archie have, than to detect afterall? Doh! There's an archie who detects here in CA that I know, who's an archie on a firm that does the "signing off" on the archaeological sections of EIR's. And whenever such work involves old-town urban demolition sites, you can bet he's back there after 5pm md'ing. He's found reales, seateds, relics, etc.... on his own sites. So ... like you, he's "cool".

However, the devil is in the details: While some archies are like you guys, yet many other archies consider ALL md'ing, by simple definition, to be "looters and vandalizer's".

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Precisely, archies seem to have their own view as to what is "looting" and "vandalizing". What's yours?

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my random 2 pennies. (I refuse to call them cents!) ��

Is there any reason you refuse? The back of "pennies" actually reads CENT:
Cent Reverse - Memorial.jpg Cent Reverse - Wheat.jpg Cent Reverse.JPG

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trout-Burn-Dave, glad you are an md'r! What better hobby could an archie have, than to detect afterall? Doh! There's an archie who detects here in CA that I know, who's an archie on a firm that does the "signing off" on the archaeological sections of EIR's. And whenever such work involves old-town urban demolition sites, you can bet he's back there after 5pm md'ing. He's found reales, seateds, relics, etc.... on his own sites. So ... like you, he's "cool".

I dunno about the bolded part, but I'll take wha I can get.

However, the devil is in the details: While some archies are like you guys, yet many other archies consider ALL md'ing, by simple definition, to be "looters and vandalizer's".

I have no doubt that there are probably more who think this way than not, I was really only saying that ivebeen fortunate enough not to know any, or even heard of any.

Precisely, archies seem to have their own view as to what is "looting" and "vandalizing". What's yours?

Being in the desert southwest, our big issue is the destruction, digging, and defacing of Native American sites. if someone finds a pottery shard, an arrow head, a spear tip, etc., I have zero problem with them picking them up and taking them home. They are going back under ground after the next rainstorm anyhow. I will probably have an issue with you if you're sneaking onto a site at dark, digging up pots and other artifacts, or taking a hammer and chisel to a petroglyph because you think it will look good on your mantle.

Is there any reason you refuse? The back of "pennies" actually reads CENT.

I saw some dude on here complaining that people needed to start calling the "cents", and it was pretty funny. I grew up calling them pennies, so by the Gods, that's what I'm sticking with!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was asked to help out detecting a mining camp site on forestry land with a local university.This was a small survey over a three day period.This is the impression I was left with of their efforts.

1)their leader,professor,archie was completely uninterested with any input on location from anyone.It was amazing the level of both arrogance and lack of knowelege of the area.

2)in 15 mins I had given them the vast majority of objects they would find.Nothing interesting save a decent period button and leather rivet.

3)they chose a site that would never be a camp due to water issues in spring and during storms,also in a wind tunnel..duh.

4)I pointed out a campsite known to me on a hillside,3 mins.walk and loaded with stuff.Was ignored by all(no degree I guess)and within half an hour I was out of there.
I walked up to the camp area and pulled a harmonica reed,lantern top and square nails in 5 mins.walked back and gave them to the one lady who was actually listening,or not ignoring my attempts to help them out.They were all amazed but alas spent all three days right where they were.
Needless to say I left shaking my head.Not at all impressed.

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, there are plenty of D-Bag know it all's out there, no doubt; I've worked with my fair share. At the very worst, at least you get a chance to learn what not to do, and where not to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread