Permission denied... well maybe

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every day on my way home from work, I pass an old house with 1790 painted up near the roof. I've always thought "Man it would be great to hunt that property". But no one has ever been around to ask. Well over the weekend, I drive by and they are having a garage sale. So I stop. I ask about the property and come to find, the 1790 farm house is not the oldest building, there are 2 more from the 1750s, one being the toll house. So I ask about metal detecting the property and get an immediate No. I'm disappointed. The owner says he is a history buff (prefers bottles) and wants to find stuff himself, but is recovering from recent surgery and wants to buy a MD so he can. So I offer that for permission I'll loan him a metal detector and show him how to use it. He thinks about it, and asks me for a card. I write my cell number on the back of a business card and hand it to him. He says once he heals up from his surgery, he might give me a call.

That's the best I can hope for considering it started with a hard No.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Least it is still a option if he is willing to ask for a card and number , happy hunting

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on getting your foot in the door! If you get a callback, try to negotiate a percentage of the finds to keep. If he declines the offer, perhaps just the fun of detecting the old property may be enough. :dontknow:

I have done many old sites with the condition that everything be turned in to be inspected by the owner. Usually, they "throw my way" a few nice keepers, so it's worth my effort. Only on a few occasions the homeowner wanted everything, :BangHead: but they all found me (friends and neighbors) new permissions in the area; so all is well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions