Permission on Freddie Mac property

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m new to this hobby but it didn’t take long to figure out that you need a good spot to hunt. I know of some REALLY old houses near me and after checking, most of them are empty and owned by the Federal Mortgage company. Anyone tried to get permission from them? Being federal I assume it won’t be easy. Should I just go for it? Any advice is appreciated.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You are NOT supposed to hunt where you don't have permission. It's a big deal, especially on the forum. They call it trespassing, and it is illegal, as well as gives the hobby a bad name.

I know exactly how you feel, I'm sorry to say.

OP
OP
Bama Billy

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, I’m new the hobby. I have no interest hunting where I’m not supposed to. I’m working on permission but a little more info. The house is vacant and has been for roughly 20years and it’s easily 150 years old.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, I’m new the hobby. I have no interest hunting where I’m not supposed to. I’m working on permission but a little more info. The house is vacant and has been for roughly 20years and it’s easily 150 years old.

It is good you asked, shows even though your new your wanting to do it the legal way. Even though it is own by Federal agency it is still private property, I would call and ask, it never hurts.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

It's all good my man. Just letting you know what others have told me. I hope that I didn't seem accusatory or harsh. I wish you the very best of luck sir.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, we sit there drooling, while the property wastes away.
Even though it is a government property, there has to be someone accountable for real estate maintenance. If you see anyone mowing the lawn , especially around this time of the year, you might try buying that guy a coffee or soda and start up a conversation about metal detecting. Eventually you would ask for permission. To ask someone in an office or bank, is going to end up with a "NO" due to liabity. It's called CYA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread