DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell the mayor that if there are wires, your detector will "see" them and you'll know NOT to dig along that line...

Anyway... the guy I detect with has a nice technique for popping out coins without really digging (he doesn't carry a digging tool). He uses a medium sized flat-blade screwdriver to sort of ream a hole big enough to insert his pin pointer. When he locates the coin he can typically reach it with his fingers or pop it out with the screw driver. Then he steps on the spot and the small hole disappears. It doesn't work on deep targets, but he gets plenty of stuff down to about 4 inches.

So leave the digger at home and go pop some coins.

Have fun,

DCMatt

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Probe, don't dig...take a probe or screwdriver and no digging and you may not get a coin at 12 inches, but like DCMatt said, you can get them up to four inches!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you want to get real technical, I'd bet they'd say "no probing" either. Is anyone really going to go watch you retreive stuff, to really even know dig vs probe, vs whatever? I hunt parks, where it is a given that it is ok (well, at least no one ever bothers us), and we dig holes all the time (Explorer deepie silver at 8 or 9" that you can't simply probe to). So whereas, at these parks, it might be ok to detect, I'm sure they'd tell us the same thing "no digging". But bear in mind that their image is open holes and messes. We re-plug and fluff up the grass, and no one is any wiser. Naturally, we are discreet, and if busy-bodies are watching closely, we make sure not to be in the middle of a hole, at that moment. In your mind, you know you're going to leave the place impecible. But to the person watching, they only see your plug open, and assume you might leave it that way.

And as for "power lines", I can't imagine them being that shallow! Sure, even PG&E company has signs up "Call before you dig!" with an 800# to call. I heard of a guy once who was told (he went to city hall somewhere and asked) that, in order to dig, he had to call PG&E for each signal he intended to dig. When the MD'r objected that he was only going a few inches, not deep enough to reach pipes or wires, the desk-bound bureaucrat looked longer and harder at the codes, and tells the guy, "sorry, it doesn't specify how deep, so therefore we must assume any digging, at any depth" Doh! C'mon, you know you won't hit pipes and wires, so just go, and be discreet. If someone's being a busy body, just cruise around and pick up surface clad for a few minutes, till they get bored and walk away.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mayor is only looking out for your welfair. He won't like it if you get fried........

You buddy is very wise in using a screwdriver. It is what I use in a park. If it is deeper, I leave it. I caught a couple guys digging holes in a county park and they wouldn't clean up their mess. Called me a name in fact. Though I answer to all kind of names, I didn't like the bird......They got arrested for destroying park property and in court were given a hefty fine and made to pay for repairing the sod in an area where the damage was located, plus community service for the county parks service. I worked for the county at the time in the parks.

If you have to dig a plug, set the plug an any dirt on a piece of cloth so it all can be placed back in the hole.

Good Luck and show us what you've found.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Sounds like probe will be the best thing to do. Might not be your style, but at least you can MD, and still get some neat stuff.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sandman said:
The mayor is only looking out for your welfair. He won't like it if you get fried........

You buddy is very wise in using a screwdriver. It is what I use in a park. If it is deeper, I leave it. I caught a couple guys digging holes in a county park and they wouldn't clean up their mess. Called me a name in fact. Though I answer to all kind of names, I didn't like the bird......They got arrested for destroying park property and in court were given a hefty fine and made to pay for repairing the sod in an area where the damage was located, plus community service for the county parks service. I worked for the county at the time in the parks.

If you have to dig a plug, set the plug an any dirt on a piece of cloth so it all can be placed back in the hole.

Good Luck and show us what you've found.

Sandman,
Some years ago I used to work for the county parks system and it really got old, the way some people behaved. And it gives me such a warm fuzzy to hear that sometimes they get what they deserve. ;D

Glad you posted that - thanks!

HH
Nan

It's might nice to see somebody got what they deserved!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Don't walk into the area with a shovel. Just some small things to get at items that are shallow. I've hunted areas like this and 90% of the coins are in the grass roots and no deeper. Looks like the no digging will prevent you from retrieving deep older stuff that might just happen to be there, so just be happy you can hunt and take the shallow stuff. Probing with a rounded off thin screwdriver will locate most coins close to the surface. Just takes a little practice. You can then use the screwdriver to open the hole just enough to get the coin out. Just close it up and pack it down gently and nobody knows you have been there. If you feel you need to go a little deeper, use a knife to cut an "X" over the target. You can flip back 4 small triangles of dirt and search. Make sure all the dirt goes on a small piece of cloth or plastic so you won't leave dirt behind in the grass. That's a tell-tale sign you just don't want people to see. When you get the target, pour the dirt back, tamp, and then put the four flaps back and tamp gently to make it invisible. I would not recommend that you cut a plug and remove it. That makes a pretty visible hole. To me 4 flaps still attached to the soil is better. For "emergencies" have a spoon in your pocket.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions