Permission to hunt letter

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon
Ihope I am allowed to post this if it had not been done already !
just copy and pate then print.

Mr. XXX, Property Owner

Normally I would prefer to approach you in person; however, I felt that a letter beforehand is a better emissary than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.

In my research I noticed your property at ( ) was built around ( ). I have an interesting hobby that is metal detecting (looking for buried artifacts). I have engaged in this hobby for several years and find it very enjoyable and meet some very interesting people. The thrill of finding something lost for many years is very exciting for me.

I am ___ years old and have lived in ______________________ for the past ____ years.

I want you to understand that I always respect the property I search and try to leave it in the same or better condition than I found it. Artifacts are usually no more than 4 to 5 inches deep.

I would like to obtain permission for myself and a friend (I do not like to detect alone all the time) to detect your property.

In addition, I would like to offer my services to you. Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable ring, a cache or farm tool. Perhaps you wish to locate a historical site or relic from the past.

I would be willing to assist you just for the thrill of the search.

I have enclosed a self addressed stamped envelope for your convenience and would be happy to meet with you if further discussions are desired.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Do I have to send you a "permission to use your letter" letter?
;D

All kidding aside, I like it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shadow,
Great job on the letter. There was one thing that was a concern to the property owner I got permission from, and that was someone getting injured on their property. I know it sounds crazy if you are only digging small holes, but it was a big deal to my property owner.
I added a clause stating:
"It is understood by both parties that (property owners name) is not responsible or liable for any accidents or injuries that may occur while (your name) is on the property."

Just a thought you may want to consider, so it sets the property owners mind at ease.
Good luck,
MM

OP
OP
shadow0966

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon
That is a very good statement to put in because one never knows when you might step into your own hole and trip,that thought alone can turn a decision around THANK YOU FOR THE TIP !

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
ModernMiner said:
Shadow,
Great job on the letter. There was one thing that was a concern to the property owner I got permission from, and that was someone getting injured on their property. I know it sounds crazy if you are only digging small holes, but it was a big deal to my property owner.
"It is understood by both parties that (property owners name) is not responsible or liable for any accidents or injuries that may occur while (your name) is on the property."

Just a thought you may want to consider, so it sets the property owners mind at ease.
Good luck,
MM

I thought of this as well, with another, saying that I will be responsible in the rare event that any damage occurs to the property.

I am hesitant to put either of these in writing, it may scare an otherwise unassuming homeowner. It may get them thinking about something happening on their property, that they hadnt thought about before. I would rather discuss it in person.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
ModernMiner said:
Shadow,

Good luck,
MM

I thought of this as well, with another, saying that I will be responsible in the rare event that any damage occurs to the property.

I am hesitant to put either of these in writing, it may scare an otherwise unassuming homeowner. It may get them thinking about something happening on their property, that they hadnt thought about before. I would rather discuss it in person.

Myself, I don't think I would mention anything about possibly damaging property. That may kill the deal.
As far as discussing it in person, you may not get that chance if this is all being done by mail.
The property I got permission on is vacant, so they wanted reassurance that they would not be responsible if anything were to happen to me, since no one was around.
I guess every case is different though.
-MM-

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:

I get a letter in the Mail saying that ?

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm :o

I always wanted my Yard Re-sodded, but couldn't afford it.

Sure, Common over. Dig anywhere ;D

Just Kidding, But you get the drift.

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
I also include a statement that I follow the Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs' Code of Ethics, and enclose a copy.

Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs Code of Ethics

I will always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is my responsibility to "Know the law".

I will respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner's permission. Where possible, such permission will be in writing.

I will take care to refill all holes and try not to leave any damage.

I will remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that I find.

I will appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife and private property.

I will as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.

I will work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.

I will leave gates as found.

I will build fires in designated or safe places only.

I will report to the proper authorities any individuals who enter and or removes artifacts from federal parks or state

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread