Permission to hunt

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I recently ran across this, and I think its an excellent example of how a letter to a property owner should look. Hope this helps some of you seeking permission to hunt. :)

Its from the October 2000 issue of Lost Treasure magazine, and credit goes to Mr Andy Sabisch.

Mr. XXX,

Normally I would prefer to approach you in person; however, I felt that a letter beforehand is a better emissary than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.

In my research I noticed your property at (123 Main Street) was built around (XXXX). I have an interesting hobby that is metal detecting (looking for buried artifacts). I have engaged in this hobby for several years and find it very enjoyable and meet some very interesting people. The thrill of finding something lost for many years is very exciting for me.

I am XX years old and have lived in XXX for the past XXX years.

I want you to understand that I always respect the property I search and try to leave it in the same or better condition than I found it. Artifacts are usually no more than 4 to 5 inches deep.

I would like to obtain permission for myself and a friend (I do not like to detect alone all the time) to detect your property.

In addition, I would like to offer my services to you. Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable ring, a cache or farm tool. Perhaps you wish to locate a historical site or relic from the past.

I would be willing to assist you just for the thrill of the search.

I have enclosed a self addressed stamped envelope for your convenience and would be happy to meet with you if further discussions are desired.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Your name, address and telephone number

Upvote 0
Very very nice Jeffro! Your letter is perfect, & I reluctantly give you my permission to hunt my property! LOL I am going to print this out & keep it in a safe place for future use, also save it to my PC hard drive! Thanks..........
AP

Some thought went into that letter.
How could anyone turn you down after reading that? ;)
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks - this should really be a sticky somewhere on the site. I copied it already.

better yet MS.XXX ::) :D

bk said:
Some thought went into that letter.
How could anyone turn you down after reading that? ;)
Easily, I use that letter myself. Out of the 20 or so letters I've sent out, I've received 3 yes's and 9 no's. The other ones I never got responses to. However, the non-responses inspired NO TRESPASSING signs to be posted at those properties. It's funny, about half of denials I received they complimented me on the letter just before they say no.

Thanks Jeffro for the letter have it copied into Word all ready. Excellent example for a letter. HH Ted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back