Permission to Hunting Bank Owned Property

Edward1976

Jul 9, 2013
USA for now.
Detector(s) used
DFX300, XLT, Laser
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting on private property without permission, not a good idea. They're not going to chase you away with a broom, they're going to prosecute. DON'T DO IT.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This subject has come up in the past . And the trouble is, that no matter how nameless and faceless, no matter how abandoned, no matter if no around cares or notices .... still the obligatory forum answer needs to be: "no. you can't just help yourself"

now, as for who to ask? I dunno.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's also YOUR bank, that would help. Start with your friendly teller. You'll probably be passed along to someone higher up but if you're friendly and explain yourself well without using any negative buzz words (like digging, cutting, historical artifacts, etc) you should have a good shot. After all, they would like to keep your business, wouldn't they?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
cudamark, tsk tsk, you say:

"........without using any negative buzz words (like digging, cutting, historical artifacts, etc......"

Huh, why? Wouldn't you want them to understand the full impact of your question? What if (gasp) that teller or bank person happened to be passing by in the ensuing week, and SEE you out their "digging" and "cutting"? Or is she/he viewed ebay in the ensuing weeks, and saw a rare barber dime she surmised you found on the bank's property?

Hence, ... no. Don't mince words. Be totally forthcoming. Let them know you'll "dig" (yet be careful of utilities, be careful to cover back up, etc...). Let them know you'll potentially find gold bars (afterall, it certainly *is* possible). Let them know you'll alert an archie if you find an indian bone (they'll appreciate your integrity on this point as well). And in addition to all that, be sure to put a contract in front of them for them to sign, authorizing you to "dig for treasure" on their property.

Now ......... go do the right thing. Afterall, you "wouldn't want to get arrested", now would you? :)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
teletrasher,
Ask for the person or department in charge of REO (Real Estate Owned); or the person or department who handles foreclosures. Due to the liability issue, you will probably be denied entry, but if you requested permission to trespass with (say) a letter to you from the local historical society who would welcome your finds into their museum, you may have a better chance of getting bank permission. Back up any 'permission' with an Email thanking them for that permission. You may need that 'permission slip' if stopped by local authority or to show 'locals' who might question your presence.
Don.......

Last edited:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Haha, good effing luck.

Large, bureaucratic institutions are not exactly known for their good-nature when it comes to letting people engage in 100% risk, 0% reward endeavors on properties they own. Banks and REOs? Lets put it this way. You can go to a bank with a fistful of cash telling them you want to BUY that REO and still be stymied by the red tape, ...let-me-transfer-you-to's, utter inability to get any motion whatsoever.

I don't want to say 0% chance but I'd lay you 10-1 odds against any bank giving you permission to go 'exploring and digging' on one of their REOs.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't trespass without permission. Ask for permission whatever long odds are against your belief you may be turned down. Go "armed" with my suggestion (re: Historical Society letter) or with one of your own suggestions. Being turned down may still occur, but you will have improved the odds in your favor if you do more than just ask for permission. Have the guts to be told 'no'; knowing that's all you can lose.
Don........

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see people have differnt opinions on this matter....As it being Bank owned...I would be iffy about it, not saying i wouldnt jump out and hunt it, but i would think about it a few times.

No as for Condemed houses. I hunt those all the time. They are City owned, and I have talked to the Police, while im hunting them, and they tell me they have no problems with what im doing..this has happened serveral times, mainly because these houses are in a bad neighborhood, and they are actually stopping me because my car is too nice for the neighborhood. But those are a little different then forclosed homes.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark, tsk tsk, you say:

"........without using any negative buzz words (like digging, cutting, historical artifacts, etc......"

Huh, why? Wouldn't you want them to understand the full impact of your question? What if (gasp) that teller or bank person happened to be passing by in the ensuing week, and SEE you out their "digging" and "cutting"? Or is she/he viewed ebay in the ensuing weeks, and saw a rare barber dime she surmised you found on the bank's property?

Hence, ... no. Don't mince words. Be totally forthcoming. Let them know you'll "dig" (yet be careful of utilities, be careful to cover back up, etc...). Let them know you'll potentially find gold bars (afterall, it certainly *is* possible). Let them know you'll alert an archie if you find an indian bone (they'll appreciate your integrity on this point as well). And in addition to all that, be sure to put a contract in front of them for them to sign, authorizing you to "dig for treasure" on their property.

Now ......... go do the right thing. Afterall, you "wouldn't want to get arrested", now would you? :)
I would give them just enough info to get permission, no more, no less. I don't even care who gives it to me as long as it's in writing and they have a name and position of authority.....however minor. Since I wouldn't leave any trace of being there, nobody would know what I did or didn't find, or how I recovered it. Giving out too much information only works against you.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you want permission for a bank owned house......to whom do you ask.........doubt the various branches are involved.......and so you must seek out the main branch or bank that deals with it's real estate.........now this may, or may not be local or even in your state........
Not saying permission is a bad thing at all......in fact, for most cases it is necessary for many reasons........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread