Feb 5, 2011

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

To my knowledge, there is no probitions against metal detecting in Peru, to begin with. So why would you need permission? Unless it's an off-limits sites there, like a historic monument, or certain protected dig location, etc.... And of course private property, then permission from the owner. But for regular public land (out in the mountains, etc...) no, you don't need "permission" for places that have no specfic laws against it, in the first place.

As for "percentages", if you mean for the govt, the only time there are "percentages" type legal stuff, is if you're talking shipwreck salvor stuff, I suppose. Typically, and realistically, for small time coin and relic hunting type stuff (beach hunting, etc...), no, there is no "govt. owns all" type thing. But then again, go figure, no matter WHAT you find (a single gold coin, let's say), I suppose if you walked in to a govt. bureaucrat there (or anywhere) and said "can I keep it?", what do you think they'd say? They'd take it, say thankyou, and you'd never see it again (except at his house on his own mantle place).

Metal detecting is common in Latin America, Mexico, Carribean, etc.... and there is no problems for casual detectors. Perhaps if you found a pyramid filled with gold, then yeah, some govt. official might say they get half, or all, or whatever. But then so too would this be the case for anywhere (look at the Mel Fisher hassles, for instance here in the USA :))

But if you meant private property, then the percentages split is whatever you negotiate with that particular land-owner.

Here's an example of a metal detector dealer in Peru. This is just one example, that came from a simple search under Fisher metal detector dealers. You can do the same type search for tesoro brand, minelab brand, Whites brand, etc... and probably come up with other dealers down there. Those dealers would have more answers to your questions, as they pertain to local things, since they are probably hobbyists themselves, and deal to others who hunt around there. (and notice that detectors are sold there, so .... obviously people are metal detecting there :))

MEDECTOR BOLIVIA
AV. Carrion Corrales 1085 Miraflores
La Paz - Bolivia
Phone: +591 2 - 0000000
E-mail: [email protected]
Productos

Hi all!

I plan to travel to Peru with a metal detector to search treasure.
Could you help me with some questions?:

- What is the procedure for obtaining permission to search in Peru?
- What percentage gets the one who found the treasure?
- What laws regulate search with a metal detector in Peru?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been to Peru in many years, but I suspect some things have not changed....
The "Law" depends a great deal on the guy with the uniform and the Kalishnikov that wants to know what the h*** you're doing, and if there's any way he can profit from it. I'm not inclined to argue the finer points of law with someone carrying automatic weapons.

If you find anything good, expect to be robbed. Trust me, the eyes of Ariquipa are upon you. ;)

And although you can hunt, artifacts cannot be taken out of the country...pretty sticky about that. And yes, "artifacts" is a pretty broad term...

Maybe things have changed in 30 years? Anybody?

Cheers,
dt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm aware of three Peruvian consulate offices (San Diego, Atlanta and Miami).
You may wish to write one of them with your Qs and see how they respond.
Don.....

Oddly enough Mackaydon, it's this type of advice (asking border lawyers, consulates, bureuacrats, etc.... in various countries) has often resulted in people getting "no's", when ........... it's not really an issue (ie.: detecting might, in fact, be common place and no one cares). The reason is, whatever bureaucrat or consulate type person you're asking, may couch your question in terms of federal protected monuments (raiding the pyramaids, etc...), or shipwreck salvor type laws (ala mel fisher legal hassles), exporting gold bars, and so forth. NOT casual fumble finger hobbyist stuff.

For example, people have done exactly what you've recommended for Mexico (for their tourist beaches). They get a "no". So they leave their detectors at home. Imagine their surprise when they arrive at their tourist beach resort, only to see an md'r or two plying the sand without a care in the world, and no one cares. :icon_scratch: And then they see that detector manufacturers even have dealers in the bigger cities, etc.... (presumably using them ..... for ... doh .... to metal detect :tongue3: ).

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I look at it differently. If the response from the Consulate comes back positive, I use that paperwork as leverage when/if questioned by the authorities. If the response comes back negative, I '86' the response.
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions