permission to search

Capt_Jack

Dec 16, 2007
Wilmington N.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 AT/PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i just came back from a meeting with the owner of some old farm land here . He was really nice and understanding,he said he had no problem at all with me hunting his property and he hoped i fine some nice stuff,he had no problem signing the permission paper and was real eager to do so,,,,,well i have to say it was easer then i thought,,,being my frist time asking permission,,,,ps there has been no one to his knowledge to ask to hunt the property and has not heard of anybody that he know's of hunting the property,,,,

F

Felinepeachy

Re: permission to search fair grounds

Congratulations on securing permission to hunt a great place. It sounds like you're going to find some good stuff there. Look forward to seeing your finds. :notworthy:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Be prepared to have a dozen people go hunt the new spot without you.

Rookie rule #1... Don't post your hunting locations online.

I would recommend deleting and / or editing your post.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I hope he's right, and "no one's ever detected it before". But just be aware, that a lot of times you will hear property owners say this, but the truth is, they simply don't know. Oh they may be ADAMANT about it as well, but .... they're wrong.

Here's a true example of how the psychology works:

When I was a kid in the mid 1970s, I got my first all-metal TR detector. I knocked on the door of an old home, and an elderly man gave me permission to hit his yard. I got a few wheaties, and perhaps a silver dime.

Several years later, in the late 1970s, I updated to the latest new TR discriminator (woohoo!). I wanted to try it in a spot where I knew I had thoroughly worked with my older machine, to compare the capabilites against a new machine. I remembered that yard, so now, I return and knock on the door again a few years later. This time, an elderly lady answers the door (apparently the wife of the old man I'd met a few years earlier). She gives me the go-ahead. And as she does, she tells me " ... and no one's ever hunted it before". So you see? I got a few more wheaties and silver.

Then a few years later, in the very early 1980s, I had updated to the latest greatest vlf discriminator (woohoo!). And again, I thought of where I could take it to pit against a zone I'd cleaned out with my yester-year machine. And again, I thought of that yard. So now, several years later, I again knock on this same door. This time, a young couple is there. They say "well, we just put our elderly parents in a rest home, and we're cleaning the house up for eventual sale, but I don't think our parents would mind" And they wished me luck, because "no one's ever hunted it before" ::) (I guess, in some people's mind, they would "certainly know if someone hunted our parent's yard, because certainly my dad/mom would have told me so" ::) ) And again, I found still more coins that my yesteryear machine had missed.

Fast forward to the late 1980s, and now I had the latest greatest TID vlf discriminator (woohoo) and again, I thought "I'll hit that same yard, and see if this one goes deeper or whatever". It had been 7 or 8 years since I had last hit it. When I knocked on the door, an altogether different person answered (whomever had bought from the previous owner years earlier). They too wished me luck, and said " ... and no one's ever detected here before" Because you see, in their mind, "certainly the seller would have told me such a thing" Doh!

And the list can go on and on. In each case, the person telling you this will be adament. But ranch foreman or worker, lets his kid brother on, assuming he has say-so, since he works there. Or perhaps someone before the current property owner, back in the 1970s or 80s routinely let people in and the current owner just doesn't know about that. Or quite frankly, sometimes people just help themselves at discreet times.

I've even heard people say that certain parks or schools are virgin, that I know have been worked to death. Why? Simply because they've never seen anyone detecting them! But it just doesn't logically follow. I mean, no one watches a park or school all day, for decades, right? But to the un-initiated, who aren't in this hobby, they just assume "I would have seen someone, if it had ever been detected", etc....

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you the best of luck. Will be watching for you post on your finds.....Matt

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Glad you got permission to hunt the property and in writing too. Outstanding.

I think what bazinga is talking about is the fact that you mentioned the city and state and gave a general description of your hunt area ( old farm).

Normally it would be written such as, " I received permission to hunt an older home in my area." No description of the property and no city or state mentioned. Lots of folks reade these forums and most likely some of them may be from your area.

Be sure to post any interesting finds.

HH

Ray S ECenFL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread