🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story short: An old man denied me his 1760 house permission...i saw him at my grandfathers funeral and he denied me permission again...then i found out my uncle had been visiting him and he asked the old man for me and the old man told me i was welcome to come by any time. Went there on tuesday and it turns out he is really an abrasive person and takes very good care of his lawn. He wouldnt let me get into his front yard but he said the field next to his house was free to go through. I explained to him about how the internet told me his property had been lived on since at least 1760 and he didnt seem to believe it. He followed me around while i dug a bunch of junk and he insisted on inspecting everything i dug. I spent about two hours at his house. One demonstrating the metal detector and one detecting. He kept asking if i could find arrowheads with it and that i should get an arrowhead detector. Anyways, after he went inside i kept going and managed to pull out an old flat button and a 1795 half cent. The back was toast. Oh yea, a possible arrowhead fell out of a hole too...who woulda thought my metal detector finds possible arrowheads....

Went back the next morning on my way to work to show him but he didnt seem interested at all. Looked at the 18th century treasures and said "you found em here, that means theyre 50% mine!" So i replied as i usually do with "You can have em if you want" with a pushing hand gesture and he just shook his head and lost attention. So i went to work.

Maybe ill go back but probably not. I like being around happy interested people. Oh well i found something.

Also got a 1857 flying eagle and 1907 IHP at my grandparents last week.

IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG

Upvote 21

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can hear his kind now..."You kids get off my lawn!!!" 😂

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_indian_penny.gif
Nice finds BeenFishin (love those Indians)! Go back - you might make that "old man" into a super friend and MD'er. Thanks for sharing...

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back and I would put all the keeper finds in one pocket and only show him the junk. The IHP looks to be in never shape. Congrats.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are a couple of nice finds. To bad about his attitude. "Happy people make the world a better place, angry people make it worse".

oyat

May 8, 2016
kuala batoeh
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
xterra 705, nox 800 , nox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hehe his willbe your friend sir , some day :laughing9:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Maybe bring him some beer and loosen him up a bit in your return! I understand though. I sort of got a 1920s permission yesterday but the couple were so weird and uncomfortable, definitely the kind that would say yes and then change their mind and call the cops on you instead of just talking to you. I told them nevermind and that they didn't seem comfortable and I didn't want to bother them. Still not fun even though it's just part of the process.

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds you found:icon_thumright:

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Takes all kinds. Congrats on the finds especially the Flying Eagle Cent! Man.. I just cannot find one of those.

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_indian_penny.gif
Nice finds BeenFishin (love those Indians)! Go back - you might make that "old man" into a super friend and MD'er. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks VP. The flying eagle and ihp were found at my grandparents house about a week ago. Had to work hard for em and im waiting for the current residents to mow the lawn. Also picked up a tick there too! The tick seqson has officially begun. I passed up a bunch of houses today becaue their lawns were high. So im regular fishing because fluke opened today.

The old man doesnt seem to want any more friends. He kept saying "if i make it to next month!" And laughing. Who knows

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back and I would put all the keeper finds in one pocket and only show him the junk. The IHP looks to be in never shape. Congrats.

Ive given up a bunch of cool finds over the years including a croatal bell, a whole ring of 19th century work tool tokens from a local business, a king george 2 penny and the list goes on. I feel like its similar to stealing if i dont offer the finds to the property owners. Dont want any bad karma on my back. Besides most of them dont want the stuff we dig up anyway.

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe bring him some beer and loosen him up a bit in your return! I understand though. I sort of got a 1920s permission yesterday but the couple were so weird and uncomfortable, definitely the kind that would say yes and then change their mind and call the cops on you instead of just talking to you. I told them nevermind and that they didn't seem comfortable and I didn't want to bother them. Still not fun even though it's just part of the process.

Hes an old polish farmer type and i dont think he drinks. He didnt even cuss once when i talked to him for an hour. Some people are just super scared that someones going to take advantage of them. Unfortunately there isnt really any way to convince them. Ohhhh wellll

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is suppose to be fun. Try lending him your other Garrett detector and metal detect together, only keep far enough away that he can’t see what you’re finding. Maybe he’ll offer to buy your other detector and you can become friends.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the old copper coins! :notworthy:

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is suppose to be fun. Try lending him your other Garrett detector and metal detect together, only keep far enough away that he can’t see what you’re finding. Maybe he’ll offer to buy your other detector and you can become friends.

I wish. I gotta get my ace 350 back frommy friend. I have a tracker 4 sitting around somewhere too. Doubt he'll go for it but its worth a try. I suppose ill ask him about the beer too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread