Permissions from trusts and bank owners?

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
Hey all.

Taking a little break from coin shooting in the local park for a bite of lunch & thought I would post this little question.

I have several, more than likely, never hunted spots that would be fantastic to explore & MD. These are abandoned mill ruins, homesteads from the mid to late 1800's, old railroad stops, road and bridge sites that no longer exist, old school sites from the early 1800's, etc... My goal is to try and save some of that history that is slowly rotting away.

Anyway, some of these 'A List' sites are on property that is owned by a trust or bank. Some is farm land rented to local farmers. Some is forest, drainage or 'bottom land.'

Not certain who to see about these. I suppose the farmers who rent the land might be a good start.

Any thoughts?

TNX
-Ken

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I knew a fellow who used to "help himself" to foreclosed type places (and also places the city took over in eminent domain). He'd also hunt yard of homes that were vacant and in escrow, rationalizing that in that 30 day period, it was neither owned by the former owner, nor the new owner. But rather, it was in an interim phase where the bank or title company owned (or held or controlled or whatever) it. He never had any problem. But then again, he didn't wear neon orange and "make waves" either ::)

I suppose that even though the land is owned by a nameless faceless bank in another state, or a nameless faceless public entity (in the case of eminent domain) it is still ..... "owned".... by someone, no matter how remote. But when it's essentially abandoned, or under the say-so of someone 3 states away ....... then ..... well .... I think you get the picture.

But keep in mind, you're asking this question on a forum where some people will say you need permission to hunt public sandboxes. So .... go figure.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I am working a cache that is owned by a union. I am working on getting permission thru an historical society and some retired members. No luck yet, but we are talking about several chests of gold coins, so I keep trying. Frank

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
Talk with the farmers....if they don't care, the bank/trust typically won't. Just don't mess up their crops, leave gates open, holes open or trash around - the kiss of death.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread