Persistence pays off: Coinstar

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one Coinstar machine which I've checked the most--probably 30 times previously--and NEVER produced a single silver--finally payed off yesterday with a 1954 Rosie---sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I almost didn't check it thinking it was on the other side of the store and I was in a hurried affair. This goes to show persistence DOES pay off. I check Coinstars frequently and still only average about 1 silver Rosie per month. But including yesterday's find, I've found 2 in the past 4 days so it is a streaky hobby. I did walk into a Safeway one time and saw a guy dumping a big jar of coins in a Coinstar. After doing my shopping I walked over and found 2 silver Rosies he had left behind in the reject chute. Obviously most people do check the reject chute so that's why the silver is hard to find. I've never looked under a Coinstar for coins--I'd probably look like an idiot. Still looking for the elusive silver quarter, though. That's my white whale.
Just as a sidenote: I showed a 1962 quarter to a bank teller one time and asked if she knew what was different about it. She was clueless. So that goes to show a lot of people don't know what the silver coins look like. :laughing7:
HH everyone.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dummies are what makes CRH so profitable. 2 of my CU branches have spaces under the unit, a thin stick helps in sweeping the hiding goodies. problem with Coinstar is the high traffic--once you get spotted by an employee they learn to start checking:--((

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're way ahead of me. In all of the years I have been searching and dumping, my total reject slot find is one crusty zincoln.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're way ahead of me. In all of the years I have been searching and dumping, my total reject slot find is one crusty zincoln.

I hang out at the Coinstar machines

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread