Persistence pays off with an awesome barber dime

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Well, in my last post, http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,115304.0.html, I managed to find an 02 indian after a few hours searching Picture 034.jpg Picture 035.jpg and returned later that night for 1 zinc cent. Today, after only half an hour at the site, i got a repeatable 74-76 signal at 4.5 in. I had to resweep a couple of times because it sounded surreal at the moment. Considering I've never found a wheat at the site, it was most likely a silver dime since I've found older coins shallower. I cut a greatly oversized plug and carefully removed the rest of the dirt and uncovered a beautiful 1906 s barber dime. A careful rinse off revealed only slight wear from the trip across the states. The wear is on the obverse leaves and reverse corn grains. LIBERTY is bold and the headband is distinct and seperate. The pictures don't do it justice.
Picture 032.jpg Picture 033.jpg This site has been so good to me and I'm ready to move on to a new site on or off campus for the weekends. I only have class on wednesday and friday for three weeks. I'm very excited to start second year classes and am happy to be back in the hudson valley. I'm going to start hunting apartments for rent and maybe that will lead me to another spot. I'm still a little unfamiliar with the area but I'm trying to find more history about good spots. If anyone wants to hunt the CIA woods with me, just give me a message. There's a few cellar holes which i havent touched and there's a bottle dump around there too. History says that FDR's father owned some land that I'm searching on too.

Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's a pretty sharp looking barber. Congrats.
Ken

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweeeeeeeeeeeet nice finds on the coins the barber looks great

HH

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to many barbers are that good of condition. I would keep hitting that place over an over. Congrats on your finds.
Burdie

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
That's a very nice looking Barber dime! I've found only about ten Barber dimes in the last 14 years ~ only one is in this good of shape ~ and of course I scratched the crap out of it when I dug it! OUCH!!!! Oh well, it wasn't a key date or anything ~ it was a 1916-S.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Nice Barber!!!

WTG!!! (The IH is a nice addition too)

OP
OP
SMS88

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
And to recap, here's some previous finds from june at this site. I cleaned it out good! The 1896 is an O which makes it a semi key. I've nicknamed this site the generation gap site because of the absence of anything from 1912-1964, which is about the time the college used to be a monastery. Priests didn't cary much money back then. The memorials are from the kids who discovered a nice spot to have lots of beer without getting caught.

Attachments

• best day ever.jpg
    best day ever.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 421
  • best day ever.jpg
    best day ever.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 422
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 425

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Barber looks like it was lost in 1906 :) Awesome find!

SMS88 said:
Well, in my last post, http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,115304.0.html, I managed to find an 02 indian after a few hours searching

and returned later that night for 1 zinc cent. Today, after only half an hour at the site, i got a repeatable 74-76 signal at 4.5 in. I had to resweep a couple of times because it sounded surreal at the moment. Considering I've never found a wheat at the site, it was most likely a silver dime since I've found older coins shallower. I cut a greatly oversized plug and carefully removed the rest of the dirt and uncovered a beautiful 1906 s barber dime. A careful rinse off revealed only slight wear from the trip across the states. The wear is on the obverse leaves and reverse corn grains. LIBERTY is bold and the headband is distinct and seperate. The pictures don't do it justice.

This site has been so good to me and I'm ready to move on to a new site on or off campus for the weekends. I only have class on wednesday and friday for three weeks. I'm very excited to start second year classes and am happy to be back in the hudson valley. I'm going to start hunting apartments for rent and maybe that will lead me to another spot. I'm still a little unfamiliar with the area but I'm trying to find more history about good spots. If anyone wants to hunt the CIA woods with me, just give me a message. There's a few cellar holes which i havent touched and there's a bottle dump around there too. History says that FDR's father owned some land that I'm searching on too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread