Personal Banner Yard - 2 hunt totals- Killer for Southern Ohio

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I took my best shot at the T-Net banner with my first Seated Quarter, but it was not meant to be. I can say that this homesite made my personal banner. Too many firsts or great coins to go through them all. The pictures should speak for themselves. For Southwest Ohio, I don't think a small private yard could get much better.
I have hunted this small back yard twice now, for a combined 2-3 hours. I plan on going back if we get a bunch of rain, but it is pretty well picked over at this point.
The first hunt is posted under "First Seated Quarter- It is killer" on this forum. I will show the pics from that hunt again, and then the pics from the second hunt.
The second hunt produced some more amazing finds. Coin highlights include: 1856 Seated Dime, 1830 Large Cent, 1866 2 Cent Piece, and a no date early large cent. I also took pics of the more interesting relics and a few wheat pennies. Interestingly, I did not find any Indian Heads.
I have some questions for the experts on this forum:
1830 Large Cent- I only cleaned it enough in water to see the date. When I rubbed off the dirt after soaking in the area, it began to flake away. You can see the red outline on the date. That area was green before I rubbed it. It is obvious that the coin has great detail, but should I try to clean the dirt off? How should I clean it w/o destroying?
No Date Large Cent- I took a picture of the front, and you can see the Liberty Head, but nothing else. I didn't take a pic of the back, b/c it is worn flat. Can anyone identify a possible year from the head alone?
Lead piece with flower decorations in lower right of group shot- It almost looks like a whistle. Has anyone seen anything like it?
Coca-Cola Thimble- Date?
Key- For a clock?
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• 52710a.jpg
    52710a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 827
  • 52710b.jpg
    52710b.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 848
  • 52710c.jpg
    52710c.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 839
  • 6110e.jpg
    6110e.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 845
  • 6110f.jpg
    6110f.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 856
  • 6110c.jpg
    6110c.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 849
  • 6110d.jpg
    6110d.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 844
  • 6110a.jpg
    6110a.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 856
  • 6110b.jpg
    6110b.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 852
  • 6110h.jpg
    6110h.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 861
  • 6110g.jpg
    6110g.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 833
  • 52710a.jpg
    52710a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 839
  • 52710b.jpg
    52710b.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 841
  • 52710c.jpg
    52710c.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 832
Upvote 0

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Those are some sweet finds! Is that Coca-Cola thimble silver?

I'm not sure but it looks more like an alum promotional thimble of 1930's. The one above it that is tarnished might be silver. Very interesting relics :icon_thumright: Thank u for showing. I wonder what the round thing is.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you got some nice finds there. Those seateds are killer. Never scene a coca cola thimble. And looks like you got a barrel tap key. Scored one of those myself earlier this year. :thumbsup:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one outstanding homesite, keep hitting it until every last signal is gone. How old is the home? I had a similar site that kept giving up oldies after 75 hours of detecting. The first few hunts uncovered the easiest targets. Once they were gone, the whisper signals gave up some really nice additional finds. As for your questions, the worn LC is a Matron head minted between 1816 and 1839. In the condition it is in, I don't think you'll be able to narrow the date down any further. The 1830 LC has a very fragile patina on it, and where it is worn off you can see the porous copper beneath. I would be careful not to lose much more of the patina. Personally, I would still want to clean off some remaining dirt. I'd dip a Q-tip in olive oil and gently work out the dirt. Others may take a different approach. You could try to dip the Q-tip in hydrogen peroxide to get the same results, but then you risk taking away some of the green patina. Good luck!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, that is one nice yard to hunt during the summer months. I see a lot of Ohio'ers digging coppers in yards, so I wonder what are in the fields? :dontknow: :headbang:

Kirk

ohiograndpa

May 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL.Im North of you...on the the way South LOL hahahahaha.......... wait up !!

LOL

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Answers to questions:
- Coca-Cola Thimble is Aluminum. The one above it is AL also. The third one looks to be very old, and probably 1850ish.
- Barrel Tap Key? - For a keg of beer?
- The yard is very small, and I really don't think I missed much. I will go back, but I don't think there is much left unless I wanted to dig a keg of old square nails to find a coin or two hiding with them. House dates to 1812.
Kirk- There are many fields I could hunt, but just don't have the time. I have 2 kids (ages 2 + 3), and all my sites have to be within 10 minutes of my house to allow for any time with the coil on. I live well within the city limits of Cincinnati, extremely old houses with any yard at all are very uncommon. I was shocked that this one was overlooked by so many md'ers. In a few years, you will see me get into those fields, and start pulling out the coppers. I do have 20 years of arrowhead hunting experience, and a ton of sites in my head that I came across in the country.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread