personalized Civil War Soldier Key Chain

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I actually found this Last Friday, but I wanted to share and at the same time ask if anyone recognizes this style of key to be from a certian era. I searched this guy and he was a confederate soldier, Before the war he was a wagon Master in charge of transporting supplies from Ocala florida to Tampa Florida. Then he married in 1859 moved to Palatka Florida and after the war became a Steam boat captain. So, my guestion is does anyone recognize this to be a personalized key from say a strong box or a goods box on a Wagon train, or maybe a key from a Steamship or maybe just a personalized key for a house. Was is common for people to personalize their keys to there house? Any back ground info on this type of key is much appreciated. personalized key.jpg

Upvote 14

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a key to any number of things. A steam boat captain, a captains cabin key?? When you have something like what you found with a name with it, and can find the history of the person such as you have, it becomes so much more than just a "Key".

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s an awesome find. Sorry I can’t help with the ID but I’m sure someone will real soon. Thanks for sharing a very interesting find.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is an awesome find. What is the backstory on how you found it?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First I can't read the tag. Second how do you know it is the same person as you researched?

How did you get so much information? Where can we find it?

Interesting find though

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice relic and research! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putnam County FL 1860 Census Here is just one of the many hits on the internet of R.J Adams of Putnam County Florida. I had a whole bunch attached, but my login timed out from me doing research and when I had to log back in my reply was lost. so I will send just this one for now. Thank you all for your interest in this item.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find and definitely gets the imagination going. That's were you have to be careful. Claiming that it is was owned by a confederate soldier based on a name alone is purely speculation. I see this happen a lot to people that find items and they just want it to be something so bad that they believe speculation to be fact. I think you need more to go on than just a name to make any claims about the original owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread