Pertrified wood with tool marks?

VeeDubya

Jun 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang!
My wife and I bought our property about 10 yrs ago here in Spokane. We have a 115 yr old house, and we own the lot behind us. It was the first house put in on this block, so they never out an alley in. I have time finally to get our property clear. Come a long ways. Our plan is to buy a metal detector and see whats here. In our prepping the property my wife dug up ground to level it out a bit. In doing so......we dug a foot down in one spot and came across a few rocks. When we took a break i was eager to look because my son and I have a rock collection. We brushed it off and was please to find a 5lbs piece of petrified timber. I turn to look, there are clear as day, straight cut lines where someone started to cut it. ( when it was wood) and also a few puncture marks, from what looked to be a square, almost horse shoe type holes!?!? Is this a piece used by man.....how long ago? ( unsure how long it takes to replace the wood with rock. Very unclear how long it takes. One place say this....another that.
Need some insight...guessing someone can help.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a tooth?

Some ancient animals had Ivory teeth and they have growth rings like trees....elk currently do now (called whistlers).....there was a species of a Giant elk a long time ago.

Upvote 0

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn’t look like any petrified wood I’ve ever seen. Looks like some kind of metamorphic rock beat up by a glacier.

And no, petrified wood is more than hundreds - and even thousands of years old.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No image? :dontknow:

The petrified wood around Alberta, Canada is 305 million years old. Predating tools by about 302.4 million years. ;-)

Are you sure it's not just old, pickled driftwood?

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tool marks on petrified wood, from when it was just wood, can't happen. Sorry. Any petrified wood found predates man by tens of millions of years.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread