diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this piece of petrified wood for years and when I read insulator245's post about the big chunk he found on his aunt's property it got me wondering.His actually looks like a piece of wood,mine looks as if it has turned black almost and it also looks like it was cut down with a saw at one time or another because it is flat on both ends.Is this possible? Also why is mine so dark colored? Anybody have a clue?

Attachments

• petrified rock.jpg
    petrified rock.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 445
  • petrified rock-1.jpg
    petrified rock-1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 428

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Different type of wood? ???

Maybe the area where it became petrified had a different soil composition, causing different elements to leach into the wood?

Upvote 0

kbrocks

Greenie
Nov 16, 2006
NC & TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Yeah, like af1733 said, it depends on what conditions it was in, ie, soil composition and elements. I actually prefer pieces like yours. It looks like it petrified in such a way that if you were to look closely you could continue to see the wood grain throughout the entire piece. A lot of the stuff you find is just a cast. Meaning the exterior looks like a piece of wood, but if you cut it the center has been replaced with quartz or something else, but you lose the wood grain. That piece you have would look great cut into cabs and thrown into a tumbler or something like that.

Upvote 0

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I have a small piece of petrified wood the size of a quarter maybe that's like this. It is flat on top and bottom. There is no way to my knolege that a piece could be cut, then petrified. Probably was petrified, then cut.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
Different type of wood? ???

Maybe the area where it became petrified had a different soil composition, causing different elements to leach into the wood?
I guess that's why in the 2 photos I showed the one side looks like wood and the other side is black and stone-like.Maybe it was laying on its side,partially exposed and partially in the ground.You can sort of make it out with this side view.Also this doesn't look as if it was cut with a wet saw.Look at the top view,it's really an irregular cut.I don't know,strange.

Attachments

• pt wood-side view.jpg
    pt wood-side view.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 557
  • pt-wood top.jpg
    pt-wood top.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be Noah's Ark Wood! You didn't happen to be in Northern Turkey when you found it, did you? ;D ;D ;D

Best,

Mike

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

It's probably flat on both ends because it fell AFTER it became petrified. The mineralized material will split upon impact just like any other heavy, brittle object. Sometimes in petrified forests you can see the entire log has broken into pieces with flat surfaces on each end.

Look closely at this photo and you can see the flat surface created when this petrified redwood fell over AFTER it was petrified.
frontsteve.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
It's probably flat on both ends because it fell AFTER it became petrified. The mineralized material will split upon impact just like any other heavy, brittle object. Sometimes in petrified forests you can see the entire log has broken into pieces with flat surfaces on each end.

Look closely at this photo and you can see the flat surface created when this petrified redwood fell over AFTER it was petrified.
frontsteve.jpg
Thanks TreasureTales,I knew there was a logical explanation. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread