Petrified wood?

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These came from the collection I bought a while ago (off of CL). I'm guessing that these are petrified wood but don't know how to confirm that. Do they look like it to you?

These are some of the larger samples I got, there are smaller ones as well as some polished ones to (yet to photograph) the smaller polished pet wood pieces came labeled in a container but don't look much like these.

pet wood maybe3.jpg

pet wood maybe4.jpg

pet wood maybe2.jpg

wood jasper.jpg

wood jasper2.jpg

pet wood10a.jpg

pet wood11a.jpg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a piece with similar color to yours. Mine came from the Milk Ranch in the 50's. You could pay to collect there. It was right next door to the Petrified Forest. I'll get a pic of mine and post it. Gary

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the piece of PW I have. An old guy that lived near me went out to AZ in the 50's and picked it at the Milk Ranch, private ground next to the Petrified Forest. He had one section of a log that was about 18" tall and 12" around. It must have weighted 250 lbs. He and his wife lifted it into the trunk of their car. I don't know if the Milk Ranch is still there or not. Gary

DSC09237.JPG DSC09238.JPG DSC09239.JPG

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you can flintknap some of that agatized wood. Nice stuff.

I've never found a piece of petrified wood that was clean enough to chip, except a piece of palmwood I had once. Lot of cracks that have sand in most samples I have seen. There are PW arrowheads out west though, so the Indians knew how to find a clean piece. Gary

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread