Petroglphs AND crowned cactus number TEN!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is number ten, easy to spot in the Saguaro National Park. Take Golden Gate Rd. to Signal hill turn-off. Watch for it right away on the right about 30 meters off the road.
DSC00472.JPG DSC00473.JPG

Go to the end of signal Hill Rd. to find these petroglyphs. 1/2 mile round trip walk.
DSC00481.JPG DSC00485.JPG DSC00486.JPG
DSC00488.JPG DSC00491.JPG TTC

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pics Terry. We saw some petroglyphs when we traveled the West, but never saw cactus like that. Thanks for the pics. Enjoy.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat site. Sure must have been a lot of big Horn sheep back in Indian days. There's so many depictions of that animal on petro's across the west. I've only seen sheep one time in the desert south of Lake Havasu. Ya almost didn't see them as they blend in to the rock terrain so we'll.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat site. Sure must have been a lot of big Horn sheep back in Indian days. There's so many depictions of that animal on petro's across the west. I've only seen sheep one time in the desert south of Lake Havasu. Ya almost didn't see them as they blend in to the rock terrain so we'll.
A few thousand years ago the desert southwest was wetter, they say. And, of course, with less human population, there certainly was more game. It seems to me the areas where these glyphs show up MUST have had more rain/moisture or it would be a difficult existence in these areas. Now that I am TUNED IN to the petroglyphs, I see them almost everywhere. I really hope I can/will find some that have been lost to modern discovery. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a small herd of Nelson Big Horn sheep up near Mt. Baldy above Los Angeles. My son and I encountered them back in '82, when hiking up those mountains. The herd may have since died out as current naturalists have no knowledge of its existence today. TTC

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry C., thank you for sharing the pictures! "Stuff" IS Out There, one just needs to explore to find it and that would mean boots to the ground, just like your saying indicates. Enjoy being out there, I would guess the area might be blooming now??.............63bkpkr

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few thousand years ago the desert southwest was wetter, they say. And, of course, with less human population, there certainly was more game. It seems to me the areas where these glyphs show up MUST have had more rain/moisture or it would be a difficult existence in these areas. Now that I am TUNED IN to the petroglyphs, I see them almost everywhere. I really hope I can/will find some that have been lost to modern discovery. TTC
That does sound like fun. When I had Arizona as a territory I never ventured to far off the beaten path because most of the time I'd go down there was when it was in the heat of the summer, due to high cost and availability of lodging. One time I took the company car which at the time was a 1996 Chevy lumina Euro sport to a mine way up on Mt Lemon down by Tucson. Man I thought I was gonna punch a hole in the oil pan going up and down that rocky bumpy road. I was banging the bottom of that of that low riding car all along that road. Later after I made my visit to the mine up there that car just up and stopped running at a stoplight on a busy intersection there in Tucson. Got it towed to a shop and it blew some kind of safety fuse link for the starter, but it shut the whole ignition down on top of that. That same damn lumina left me stranded in San Manuel for a bad alternator an other time and it took a day to get the right one to replace. Another time the belt tensioner spring broke in Vaughn New Mexico. That was 2 days in a rat hole waiting on that repair. Finally the transmission went out in Wamsutter, Wyoming and I waited dang near 12 hours for Aramco out of Cheyenne to come get me. Finally they got me a brand new 1998 Chevy 4x4 truck to do my Job calling on mine sites. Then I really had some fun at my job.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That does sound like fun. When I had Arizona as a territory I never ventured to far off the beaten path because most of the time I'd go down there was when it was in the heat of the summer, due to high cost and availability of lodging. One time I took the company car which at the time was a 1996 Chevy lumina Euro sport to a mine way up on Mt Lemon down by Tucson. Man I thought I was gonna punch a hole in the oil pan going up and down that rocky bumpy road. I was banging the bottom of that of that low riding car all along that road. Later after I made my visit to the mine up there that car just up and stopped running at a stoplight on a busy intersection there in Tucson. Got it towed to a shop and it blew some kind of safety fuse link for the starter, but it shut the whole ignition down on top of that. That same damn lumina left me stranded in San Manuel for a bad alternator an other time and it took a day to get the right one to replace. Another time the belt tensioner spring broke in Vaughn New Mexico. That was 2 days in a rat hole waiting on that repair. Finally the transmission went out in Wamsutter, Wyoming and I waited dang near 12 hours for Aramco out of Cheyenne to come get me. Finally they got me a brand new 1998 Chevy 4x4 truck to do my Job calling on mine sites. Then I really had some fun at my job.
WOW Tamrock! You had me writing a check so you could go out and buy a Jeep but..... I dried my eyes and put it away when you said you got the 4x4. Good move. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions