Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to the house this evening for a couple hours where I found the silver pocket watch cover. This really surprised me when it came out of the ground. It's about 1" x 2" and quite heavy. Vividly painted, although some of the paint is flaking off. Seems to be made of pewter which is also flaking. No markings. It's got 13 stars though not in a circle.

Any ideas on age or anyone seen anything like this before?

It's still kinda dirty after a gentle scrub with soap and water and a soft toothbrush. Any tips on cleaning without ruining the paint? Normally I'd put a bit of aluminum jelly on it, but I'm afraid of destroying what's left of the beautiful paint job. Interesting find for sure!

Attachments

• Flag.jpg
    Flag.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 8
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for looking though. I have looked too with no success. Someone on the What Is It found a bridle rosette that is very similar...closest match so far. I see no mounting points, but it's about the size of a rosette.

Interesting piece. I have scoured the internet and although I can find flag pins with 13 stars, none are of your 3-2-3-2-3 design and nothing that is in pewter. Maybe it's a "one off" made by Paul Revere?....hehe. Good luck in your search, bud.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK I'm willing to be convinced it's potmetal. How can you tell. Potmetal usually contains zinc no? I don't know much about potmetal. The fresh break where the pole would attach certainly looks like pewter (dark greyish color) to me. It's a heavy little item for it's size...I'll get a weight on it in a bit.

It is Potmetal..
Cool though!!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tedyoh on the What It It Forum has essentially IDed this as a bridle rosette. On the back (hard to see in the pic here) there are two slightly silvery areas where it appears something may have been soldered on. The width of the two areas is correct for a rosette and the size of the item (2" long) is also about the right size for a bridle rosette. Not sure what most rosettes are made of but the ones I have dug appear to be a pewter or lead alloy which fits in with the composition. I have dug two horse tack buckles in the general vicinity which provides a bit more provenance for the rosette theory. My estimated date range for this rosette is 1880-1920. The current house on the lot is dated at 1900 by Trulia so there's a good fit as well.

Thanks Tedyoh! Anyone here have or recommend any good books on designs of civilian bridle rosettes? I always love digging them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve Hutch, your hijacking the thread, thread is about the 13 star flag find, if you wish start your on thread on your find, please don't hijack other members threads...

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool piece Erik no matter what the age. I agree with you about cleaning it. Aluminum jelly seems to work very well on gilted pieces but not sure how the paint would hold up. Again, cool find. Congrats

Last edited:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their is absolutely know dout that it is a vary rare Confederate hat badge worn exclusevily buy the Texas Sauder Bergaid. :occasion14:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread