Pewter brooch, badge or buckle?

greentree89

Mar 28, 2013
UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro VLF Eldorado Old Metal Box Version
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I dug this up, looking nothing like it does in the picture I took one look at it and chucked it in my junk bag. At first it was clumped in dirt and looked like a lump of metal. It was not until I got home as I sorted through my junk bag cleaning the pieces for recyling I started brushing the dirt off I saw a pattern and after pulling pieces of encrusted dirt off it and then rinsing it under water I saw what it was, I am not sure if it is some sort of badge or a buckle. It has a rusted bar attached to the back of it.
It is quite heavy, perhaps pewter or maybe even lead. There is one edge of that badge that must of been scraped as I dug it up as it has very shiny silver tone.
I try my very best not to scrape the items I dig up but I am still a novice at pinpointing the deeper targets. Every time I get very annoyed at myself :(

I found this very close to the 18th century crotal bell I dug up a while ago.

Would anyone recommend cleaning it with apple cider vinegar? Not sure if I should clean it any further, I've only given it a quick rinse so far.

Here are some pictures:

DSC_4102%20-%20Copy_zps9ucdyxzz.jpg
DSC_4095%20-%20Copy_zpsqpvaup30.jpg
DSC_4103%20-%20Copy_zpssro7vhwu.jpg
DSC_4096%20-%20Copy_zps9is8adoj.jpg
DSC_4098%20-%20Copy_zpsogwvcqt7.jpg

Upvote 6

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh it is just gorgeous. If it had a bar on the back, it could be a woman's brooch. What lovely detail. Not sure I'd clean it much more. Let's see what the others have to say. Congrats. -Lisa & John

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it as is.

I agree with others its what we Brits call a Horse Harness Boss/Mount/Furniture. Hard to date, as that fixing is odd, but I'm going with late 18th C.

OP
OP
G

greentree89

Mar 28, 2013
UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro VLF Eldorado Old Metal Box Version
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I never would of thought of a bridle rosette but looking at pictures I can see how similar it is. I think I will get the last pieces of dirt off but will not clean it any further. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread