Phantom signal? Mineralized hotspot? - Newbie

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I am totally new to the hobby and I'd like to think I have done my homework, but ran into something on my first trip out that I could use some more experienced insight.
First the basics.... Equinox 800 set to Park1(factory presets)... noise canceled and ground balanced.... cheap pinpointer (for now).... and an agricultural field where I had previously found pipe stems while looking for arrowheads... 18" of very loose fine sandy loam plow zone over a denser sandy loam with some iron staining.
The hunt... I quickly learned how to avoid can-slaw and got over my urge to dig everything. I found an early two piece button, a modern penny, an old brass ear tag and some other odds and ends (old shot shells etc.). Most everything I dug rang up between 19-29.
The phantom signals.... several times over the course of the afternoon I would get a clear deep target in the mid to upper 30s. The signal stayed consistent at 90 degrees. I dug these targets down 18" and probably 18" across too. My 800 would still indicate the target was in the hole. The vdi still read mid 30s but would occasionally jump to 40. My cheap pinpointer would scream anywhere near the bottom of the hole. One one occasion, I tried to dig out a "plug" from the bottom of the hole to test and got some low, spotty signals off it in the all metal mode. Eventually, I just felt silly with my oversized holes so I just filled them in and moved on.
Newbie questions.... Is this what I should expect from mineralized soil? Can there be mineralized 'hot spots" where I only had this happen in very isolated areas? Will any of the modern bird shot alloys or coatings give 'funny' signals? Should I have kept digging??
Follow up... I went back to the same site for a short hunt the next day. This time I used Field1 with 5 tones, otherwise factory settings and same process as the day before. I did not get any phantom signals, although my hunt was much shorter and i was not in the exact same area. However, I did dig a trefid spoon handle (thx tnet for the id) that was deeper than what I thought possible (>12"), although it may have just fallen to the bottom of the hole.
Bonus newbie question.... I plan to hit a couple freshwater beaches this weekend. I plan to cover the beach and out into the water (less than 2ft). Beach1?? Any tweaks?

Thanks for your insight... Hunting_Dad
trefid.jpg

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug holes like you describe at the beach and never found the target. I just gave up and moved on.

As for the beach I use Beach 2 with an F2 of 6 in all metal mode. That seems to work pretty well.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could have run into some nasty mineralization, but, I think I would have dug at least one of the those signals to be sure, even if I had to dig down a couple of feet. It could also be a big piece of rusty farm equipment down deep. As for your fresh water hunt, no need to use Beach 1 or 2 unless you have lots of black sand or are hunting salt water. I would start with Park 1 and see how that works. If you're trying to find tiny gold items, Field 2 in all metal seems to work best for me, or Gold 1 and 2 if they will run stable in the water. Iron bias setting would depend on the degree of ferrous junk and number of bottle caps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread