Philadelphia Printing Plate

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this printing plate several years ago. A little research told me it was from a famous merchant in Philly during the second half of the 1800s . John Wannamaker was known for his many firsts in the business from money back guarantees to the first "half and full page" ads to the first "white sale" and so much more.This is probably from about 1910 and I would love to find a copy of the newspaper that ran this ad, and yes, I have searched.Thanks for looking.

Who Made America? | Innovators | John Wanamaker

DSC09472.JPG DSC09473.JPG DSC09486.JPG

Upvote 1

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Great find! There are a number of ads that look the same printed in many different newspapers in 1887. Here is one from the Columbus, Georgia newspaper-

Attachments

• wanamaker3.jpg
    wanamaker3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! There are a number of ads that look the same printed in many different newspapers in 1887. Here is one from the Columbus, Georgia newspaper-

Wow, I never expected that! Here I searched high and low and BAM, here ya go. I had searched my local papers but never looked back that far (1887). He must have sent these plates all over the US so as to get his merch into their stores. Simply amazing job, Bramblefind !!!!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats awesome! You found the article...Ok, i will start sending you pics of the plates i found..lol

InkBlood

Greenie
Oct 12, 2014
Sweet find dude.... Born and raised in Philly and have shopped as a kid at Wanamakers many times.... The building still stands in center city Philly today (Lord & Taylor now)...he was known for some great quotes......"Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted, the trouble is, I don't know which half "....... Killer find..!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread